Griffin Doubts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Griffin Doubts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby kmac » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:09 pm

I'm worried the most about his size. The way he was getting hit, it doesn't look like he can make it through the whole season. That said, if he does, no doubt he will be a great RB.
kmac
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:11 pm

Hugh M. Griz wrote:I'm busy doubting Deuce with the loss of his fullback and JLewis with the loss of his all-pro tackle (and lack of an NFL QB).

When has Baltimore EVER had an NFL QB since they have existed. Trent Dilfer is the closest one they ever had. Stoney Case? Tony Banks? Kordell? Even through this stuff, Lewis has put up 2 years over 1300 yards. He's a stud, no doubt about it. The tackle argument I can see slightly, but the other wasn't needed. :-)

Deuce is also going to be fine. The guy is talented, and has also put up 2 years over 1300 yards.

Griffin played against a horrible, horrible run defense and is on the best rushing team in the league. He will do well, but don't expect it every week. Don't expect Jam or Deuce to bomb many more times this year either.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:20 pm

I love how there are so many doubters and the threads immediately come up expressing it. In the cafe, everyone falls into one of these categories:

1. You passed on him in your draft and are now trying to justify it.

2. You expressed your doubt early here at the cafe and aren't about to flip anytime soon.

3. You own Portis and want to think he's more special than he actually is.

4. You hate Denver.

5. You own Griffin and while you express optimism, you're a little nervous. Thank God you have him as your #3 RB.

I'm in #4 and #5.

I can't help but notice the brilliant system they have there. On top of that, Denver plays Oakland (Duce Staley got 91 yds) and San Diego twice this year, as well as KC's poor run defense. That's 5 games that already look pretty good.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but still semi-bash the doubters unless they are actually proven right. No use in trying to tell anyone "this is the best game he'll have this year" or even "he'll break 1500 yards" because the only way you're going to know is by watching the damn season.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby YunYaamka » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:45 pm

Did anyone here actually watch the game? Yes, he was playing the Chiefs and got some big holes to run through, but when he got into the secondary he was making Chiefs players look silly. I don't know. Maybe having him on both my teams make's me a little biased. We'll have to see what he does next week.
"Everybody has their sanctuary. Catholics have church, fat people have Wisconsin, and I have beer." - Peter Griffin
YunYaamka
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Ek » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:12 pm

I know, but I don't know if I would say Q "made" the Cheif's defenders look silly. On that one long run it looked like #25 was being used in Madden and someone hit the wrong button, thinking they were switching to someone else.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:14 pm

Q saved my life this week as a #3 RB and i ain't moving him. i know a game like that one last night again will be tough to happen again, but i'd rather take my chances. his value is prolly as it's peak though...
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mnheadliner » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:22 pm

biju wrote:I love how there are so many doubters and the threads immediately come up expressing it. In the cafe, everyone falls into one of these categories:

1. You passed on him in your draft and are now trying to justify it.

2. You expressed your doubt early here at the cafe and aren't about to flip anytime soon.

3. You own Portis and want to think he's more special than he actually is.

4. You hate Denver.

5. You own Griffin and while you express optimism, you're a little nervous. Thank God you have him as your #3 RB.

I'm in #4 and #5.

I can't help but notice the brilliant system they have there. On top of that, Denver plays Oakland (Duce Staley got 91 yds) and San Diego twice this year, as well as KC's poor run defense. That's 5 games that already look pretty good.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but still semi-bash the doubters unless they are actually proven right. No use in trying to tell anyone "this is the best game he'll have this year" or even "he'll break 1500 yards" because the only way you're going to know is by watching the damn season.

;-D

Man, I couldn't agree more with you on this. I probably am much more of a believer than most are, but then again I also believe that I could average 2.5 yards a carry behind that OL and I'm SLOW!. However, I am 5'10" and 190 lbs so I'm a little taller than Q-Tip so I guess I'd be less likely to be injured. :-b

But back to being serious. I will probably start him usually unless he's up against a tough def and Barlow and Dom Davis have easier opponents. ;-D
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dongdunlap » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:22 pm

I think Q will continue to be strong. Its a great system along with a young guy with some serious quicks!! He shows me good speed, power and vision...great promise. Now we'll see how durable he is. He proved to his teammates and head coach that he can get it done. Look for continued production from this solid performer.
dongdunlap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby crimsonrebel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:11 pm

I disagree about deuce. He won't do squat in that 2 tight end formation. They need to go back to a 2 back set. Q-tip did well and while he won't get 100 every week he'll do a better job than he's given credit for.
crimsonrebel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:22 pm

mnheadliner wrote:However, I am 5'10" and 190 lbs so I'm a little taller than Q-Tip so I guess I'd be less likely to be injured. :-b

See, this is what I don't get. People keep saying Q is only 5'7" and 195lbs. 195 is damned thick for 5'7", wouldn't you at 5'10" and LESS weight hence be less thick than someone who weighs more than you and is shorter?

Think of it this way, take two guys, both weigh 185lbs, one guy is 5'7" and one guy is 6'10", which guys is thicker/more durable? 6'10" 185lbs. is like a twig and hence that person would break.

Shorter+heavier=thicker.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk