Portis will attend weekend minicamp - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis will attend weekend minicamp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portis will attend weekend minicamp

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri May 09, 2003 11:19 pm

Despite the reluctance of team officials to accede to suggestions that his contract should be reworked, 2002 offensive rookie of the year Clinton Portis will report for an upcoming weekend minicamp and the second-year tailback is expected to participate in the Denver Broncos on-field practice sessions, ESPN.com has confirmed.

There has been speculation that, with the team's chilly response to his proposed contract initiative, Portis might boycott the minicamp. But agent David Ware said on Wednesday that his client intends to attend the weekend camp and emphasized his contract situation will not be a distraction during the three days of workouts.

"You can say with authority," said Ware, "that Clinton will be at the minicamp. He will do what is expected of him. The plan all along has been for him to be there."

Ware declined to address whether the contract will be an issue if the matter is unresolved when summer training camp begins. He hinted broadly, however, the four-year contract must be addressed at some point this summer.

The league's fourth-leading rusher in 2002, Portis has made himself scarce in Denver during the offseason, preferring to work out in Miami instead of in the club's organized conditioning sessions.

The minicamp begins on Friday and concludes Sunday.

Portis, 21, was a second-round choice in the 2002 draft, the 51st overall prospect to go off the board. He signed a four-year, $2.65 million contract which included a signing bonus of $1.29 million, and minimum base salaries in each season. Under the contract, Portis is scheduled to earn a $300,000 base salary for 2003.

In becoming the fourth different Broncos rookie in eight years to rush for 1,000 yards in a debut campaign, Portis registered 273 carries for 1,508 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also had 33 receptions for 364 yards and two touchdowns in 16 games, 12 of them starts.

Ware noted last month that he and Portis feel the former University of Miami star clearly outplayed the contract and that he would seek to revisit the deal. Denver general manager Ted Sundquist countered that the team has more pressing financial issues with which it must contend.

"He's now in the second year of a four-year deal and we've got some other players ... whose contracts are up (after the 2003 season) and need to be taken care of," he said.

The Broncos in past years reworked the contracts of tailbacks Terrell Davis and of Mike Anderson, making them more equitable, after the players' performances superceded deals they had signed as low-round draft choices. Sundquist noted that Davis and Anderson, however, were sixth-round selections and received relatively low signing bonuses, while Portis got a seven-figure upfront payment

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Sat May 10, 2003 3:04 am

Gee thats good of him :-o

Wonder if he will bring his buddy Rciky with him ? :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby hayesb26 » Sat May 10, 2003 7:17 am

i def. think he deserves to have his contract reworked :-)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Bust A Deal ...

Postby DraftDodger » Sat May 10, 2003 8:24 am

Nothing against Portis, but whatever happened to "A deal's a deal."??? Would he be "asking" to renegotiate his contract if he'd ran for 200 yards, had 0 TD's, and 6 lost fumbles??? No, he'd be sitting in a corner, hunched up, cackling madly and hoping that no team officials would even say the word "contract" in his presence. Does his contract this year give compensation equal to that of a star back like LDT or Williams? No. Is that unfair? Depends on whether or not you think that someone's word (contract) ought to mean diddily-squat.

I think that the team will rework his contract, but I don't think we should be behind him in saying that "he deserves it." It's this kind of thinking that leads star athletes to sit out seasons when they would be making more money than like 98 percent of humanity.

IMHO a deal is a deal, and when someone is willing to cut you a better deal, you smile and say, "Thankyou!" but you don't badmouth that person (or organization), or renege on your agreement, if they say, "Sorry, a deal is a deal."
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Re: Bust A Deal ...

Postby hayesb26 » Sat May 10, 2003 8:43 am

DraftDodger wrote:Nothing against Portis, but whatever happened to "A deal's a deal."??? Would he be "asking" to renegotiate his contract if he'd ran for 200 yards, had 0 TD's, and 6 lost fumbles??? No, he'd be sitting in a corner, hunched up, cackling madly and hoping that no team officials would even say the word "contract" in his presence. Does his contract this year give compensation equal to that of a star back like LDT or Williams? No. Is that unfair? Depends on whether or not you think that someone's word (contract) ought to mean diddily-squat.

I think that the team will rework his contract, but I don't think we should be behind him in saying that "he deserves it." It's this kind of thinking that leads star athletes to sit out seasons when they would be making more money than like 98 percent of humanity.

IMHO a deal is a deal, and when someone is willing to cut you a better deal, you smile and say, "Thankyou!" but you don't badmouth that person (or organization), or renege on your agreement, if they say, "Sorry, a deal is a deal."

nice point DD, but IMO the better you play, the better the contract you deserve
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cupertino_11 » Sat May 10, 2003 10:22 am

Well, Shanahan has talked to Portis' agent (David Ware?) and has offered a reworked deal along the lines of Mike Anderson's and Terrell Davis' after their stellar rookie seasons. Ware turned it down. :-C However, Clinton has a head on his shoulders (albeit a rather large one) and he's aware of the business aspect of the game. He may grumble a bit, but he's already said that he will play with his current contract. It's either that or sit out for three seasons. Besides, if Portis produces numbers like last year..........the Broncos will no doubt pony up. Minor issue.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby the conundrum » Sat May 10, 2003 5:24 pm

And don't forget that Shanahan drafted yet another RB this year. He's always deep at RB, so there's no question in my mind that Portis was looking over his shoulder when he agreed to play.
the conundrum
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cupertino_11 » Sat May 10, 2003 7:02 pm

Heh......exactly Conundrum. Shanny has told reporters that if Portis doesn't want to play then Denver will have another RB run for 1200-1500 yds this season. And based on their past successes, I wouldn't doubt him. Their offensive line coach Alex Gibbs (considered one of the best) is now back full time and I expect the line to return to Super Bowl form or close to it. It's plug and play for RB's in Denver.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Mon May 12, 2003 11:41 am

Nothing against Portis, but whatever happened to "A deal's a deal."??? Would he be "asking" to renegotiate his contract if he'd ran for 200 yards, had 0 TD's, and 6 lost fumbles???

Part of me agrees with this since professional athletes aren't exactly hurting for cash, but football contracts, unlike baseball for instance, are not guaranteed. So if a player signs a 5 year contract and the team decides after year 2 it was a bad idea, they can just cut him (and not pay him for the final 3 years). That's why signing bonuses are such a big deal in football. That's the only guaranteed money they get.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Mon May 12, 2003 12:40 pm

my blood boils.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless