Thomas Jones, did he suck or did the Lions D play well? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones, did he suck or did the Lions D play well?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thomas Jones, did he suck or did the Lions D play well?

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:55 pm

Just wondering from anyone who saw the game. He played well in the pre-season but had a pitiful average yesterday.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rob035 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:40 pm

Two TDs and had 105 total yards is sucking????? I'll take that any week from any of my running backs. His average doesnt mean too much to me if he is scoring and catching passes.
Rob035
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby AGENT » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:52 pm

In his defense I thought his numbers were ok for a RB on a losing team.
AGENT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:53 pm

I was more concerned that he averaged 3 yards per carry against a defense that isn't supposed to be very good.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby chowtime » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:58 pm

He did alright - if he averages that it would be about 1100 yds rushing, 600 receiving, and 32 TD's. All believable except for the TD's.

Consider the fact that a lot of RB's had HUGE days, I would see where he was a disappointment, but I am satisfied!

8 team league
QB: Vick/Bulger
RB: Portis/T. Jones/Moe Williams/Steven Jackson
WR:S.Moss/J.Walker/???????/T.Brown/Andre Johnson/D.Jackson
K: Wilkins
D: Rams
chowtime Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FavreFan1998 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:59 pm

he ran well for the most part and looked good receiving from the backfield. Almost a poor mans priest holmes. IF the bears can develop any sort of passing game the average will increase but expect 15 total TDs from Jones
FavreFan1998
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:56 am

His 100+ yards and two TDs on my bench obliterated the combined total of my starters, coupla deadbeats named McAllister and Lewis.

I gather from reports that the Lions stacked against him, daring Grossman and the receiving corps to win the game. Which, judging from the bag at left, they didn't do.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BigMusky » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:57 am

I listened to the game on the radio. Sounded like the Lions were playing really tough up the middle and killing his average with straight ahead runs for a yard or two.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:05 am

Tis true what these others are saying. I watched the game and was actually suprised how stout the Lions D was up the middle. I say suprised because it looked like that was Det's biggest weakness on D coming into the season. Instead it was their strongest attribute. They stopped any sort of running game and forced CHI to pass.

Unfortunately for the Lions and their Fans, this D is transforming into shades of 2001-2003 where their secondary was piss poor and teams just dropped back to pass and pick it apart. The difference now is that we have a little bit better pass rush at the moment. The secondary has basically one healthy starter - Brock Marion. As good as Marion is, I dont think he will be enough. Expect to see this secondary get abused pretty regularly if we cant put consistant pressure on the QB.

The good news? We can still be successful stopping the run. We are actually getting pressure on the QB - something thats been missing for yrs. And - as DBs return to health and get back into form, we actually have the makings of a pretty decent D.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wizbang » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:16 am

TJones looked just like he did in the preseason. Lots of power, lots of explosion but maybe not the best at finding the hole.

However, I'll chalk his 3.2 YPC up to lack of running lanes. While the Lions have bigtime run support in the middle in the names of Shaun Rogers (perhaps the most underrated DT in the league) and Big Daddy Wilkenson, NONE of their DEs are run stoppers. Maybe Devries but he didn't see much PT on Sunday.

The big surprise to me was that the Lions' LBs played a good game, especially Lehman. He didn't record many tackles but he was around the ball a ton filling holes and forcing cutbacks. I will say that these same linebackers weren't getting into their drops fast enough further supporting the claim that the Lions were focussing on stopping the run before all else.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk