Losing Coles,No Biggie. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Losing Coles,No Biggie.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Losing Coles,No Biggie.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 10, 2003 10:04 pm

Not my words below but I feel CPenn will continue to get better no matter who he is tossing the rock to...

"The Jets’ superstudent of the game, QB Chad Pennington, has been working overtime with new WR Curtis Conway, trying to get a rapport between the two in place prior to the start of the season. But that’s normal for quarterbacks and receivers. Pennington has gone above and beyond, as far as the Jets are concerned, because he also has been watching loads of tape on Conway, Wayne Chrebet and Santana Moss, studying their styles and preferences on the field, trying to pick up their nuances."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sat May 10, 2003 10:11 pm

whether penny will still be good is noy the question. there is no way anyone can possibly argue that losing coles was "no biggie". i laugh at foolish jet fans that try to say this is the case.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 10, 2003 10:15 pm

Sorry terp,I think Coles will do well but I believe that CPenn made Coles a better WR than Coles made CPenn a better QB.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Sat May 10, 2003 10:17 pm

that MAY be true... but compare coles and conway... it is a pretty big difference, even if u only acknowledge the fact that there is something like a 7 year age difference. thats all im trying to say.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Sun May 11, 2003 12:26 am

Pennington has already said he intends to spread the ball around his 3 receivers.
He practiced like crazy with chrebet last year after he came back from injury. Chad is a winner no matter who he is throwing too.

I dont see anyone picking up where Coles left off tho. Losing him was a BIG mistake.
Last edited by Homeless on Mon May 12, 2003 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Coles was too much $$

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon May 12, 2003 11:06 am

Replace his production.... Here are Coles stat's from the 2002 Season: 89 catches, 1,264 yards and 5 td's. Conway had 57 catches, 852 yards and also 5 td's. I admit the catches and yards are way down but not the td's. And there is a big differance between Pennington and Brees. Not to mentioned offensive styles and running game to compliment. Pennington is a master at spreading the ball around and taking what the offense is giving him. He will use Chrebet, Conway and Moss evenly. Coles is good and will be missed but the Jets did the right thing by not matching the 13 million dollar signing bonus that the Redskins offered. They will have to resign Abraham's and Pennington after this season and Coles cost too much. At least this is what I'm hoping for. I have Pennington on my fantasy team with Green and Alexander. I'm not really planning on drafting any Jet receivers unless someone like Moss or Conway fall into the 8th round or so. They just spread the ball around to much, which is good and bad. IMO.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dirtywurm » Wed May 14, 2003 1:44 am

Personally for the contract the Redskins offered Coles I wouldnt have matched it either. Hes nowhere near the reciever that Boston, Moss or Harrison is. However unless Santana suprises this year he will be sorely missed. Conway's vertical game is nowhere near what Coles is.
dirtywurm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joester » Wed May 14, 2003 9:50 am

The loss of Coles is a bid deal.................but it should not affect penningtons #s. I think he will post better numbers than last season and also (i hope im wrong on this) but I dont see Coles producing in Washington.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk