Minnesota looks at 3-4 D. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Minnesota looks at 3-4 D.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Minnesota looks at 3-4 D.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 10, 2003 10:07 pm

The way I heard it...

The Vikings have to at least consider using a 3-4 front as their base defense. Why? One scout explains: “The ideal unit, be it offense, defense, or special teams, is to have your best 11 on that group. The strength of the Vikings defensively would be going to a 3-4. Chris Hovan and Kevin Williams are 4-3 defensive tackles, but both would be effective as ends on a three-man line. Go get yourself a beast for the middle, because in Greg Biekert, Chris Claiborne and E.J. Henderson — who was a steal (in the second round) — three of your four best defenders play the linebacker position. But technically, they all play the same ‘Mike’ spot.” Defensive coordinator George O’Leary is on record that he’ll use various defenses, but the depth and talent at linebacker may lend itself to making the 3-4 the choice front a majority of the time.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sat May 10, 2003 10:14 pm

sounds good to me! they have three mlb better than any of their olb which is the problem. but im for anything that gets my man ej more playing time! ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Sun May 11, 2003 3:24 pm

i think they should do it...ive always been a fan of the 3-4...i think it will work for them
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Roseman » Mon May 12, 2003 9:57 am

It only makes sense to have your best players on the field as often as you can. Why would you let a guy rot on the bench just because you system doesnt allow him to get on the field and he is replaced by a lesser player.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon May 12, 2003 10:16 am

I think that they'll use it sparingly this year. Maybe a sporadically throughout the game to throw offenses out of sinc.

The honestly don't have the D-lineman suited for it though. Hovan is an undersized tackle and would be a tiny D end. Williams is in the same mold although he is a bit bigger than Hovan. In order to be effective you'd want a beast of a nose tackle plugging up the middle. The Vikes don't have it.

Claiborne and Biekert are starters and that is a no-brainer. Then the other job is up for grabs between Henri Crocket, EJ Henderson, Nick Rogers and Raonall Smith.

Crocket and Rogers played quite a bit last year, but the Vikes are very high on Smith who sat out last year with a shoulder injury. Now you throw Henderson in who was a projected 1st round pick and things get messy.

Word around camp was that Biekert is gonna take Henderson under his wing and show him the ropes. Biekert is gonna retire either after this year or the next.

The Vikings LBs are definitely a good group.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk