Lloyd v. Wilson... too early to tell? Anyone watch game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lloyd v. Wilson... too early to tell? Anyone watch game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lloyd v. Wilson... too early to tell? Anyone watch game?

Postby Trap » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:22 am

If you did which receiver do you think will become the main target? I know there was 2 QBs in there. But did either one impress you more than the other?
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:24 am

Both guys could be good. Lloyd has the potential, but Wilson may have the skill/polish edge right now. Dorsey is going to start this week since Rattay is hurt. We'll see who he targets more, and then maybe we will have a better idea. If it's like last week, Wilson will be the one Dorsey looks to first.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Trap » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:29 am

Thanks Mercer Boy.
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:07 am

Cedric Wilson was the #2 option on Sunday, but he seemed to get a lot more seperation than Lloyd. Wilson also hung onto the ball very admirably and did not miss many opportunities to get the ball when it was thrown to him. He made some tough catches across the middle late in the game and he could easily become the goto receiver in 3rd down situations...

I think a lot of Wilson's success compared to Lloyd had to do with the routes being run though. Wilson ran a lot of slant and fade patterns, while Lloyd was stuck doing a lot of hook routes and short yardage plays designed to get him the ball in the open field. It seemed that some of the plays were specifically designed for Lloyd and the ball was being forced to him in tight coverage.

Lloyd looked a little tenative out there in his first week as a starter and it may take him a little time to adjust to playing a full NFL game IMO. Although he only made a five catches for something like 30 yards, Lloyd was pretty much blanketed on every play and there wasn't really much he could do all day long. He lost a touchdown late in the game when he slightly mistimed an endzone leap, and then when he had it in his hands on a second effort, it was knocked away. The Niner's also went to Lloyd on the deciding 2-point conversion at the end of the game.
-----

Neither WR was overly favored by either QB and they both saw a lot of passes come their way. Generally speaking, Dorsey seemed like a much more effective QB option and it shows in his respective completion % and yards per attempt.

C.Wilson:
Targets-11 (7 Rattay, 4 Dorsey)
Catches-8 (5 Rattay, 3 Dorsey)
Redzone-3 targets, 1 TD

B.Lloyd:
Targets-14 (8 Rattay, 6 Dorsey)
Catches-5 (2 Rattay, 3 Dorsey)
Redzone-3 targets
----

One last note, TE Eric Johnson was a FORCE late in the game. On the final drive that brought the Niner's within two points, Eric Johnson was targeted 5 times and he also caught nearly everything thrown his way.

E.Johnson
Targets- 9 (8 Rattay, 1 Dorsey)
Catches- 8 (7 Rattay, 1 Dorsey)
Redzone- 2 targets, 1 TD
Last Drive- 5 targets, 4 catches
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Flux » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:25 am

Kensat30 wrote:Cedric Wilson was the #2 option on Sunday, but he seemed to get a lot more seperation than Lloyd. Wilson also hung onto the ball very admirably and did not miss many opportunities to get the ball when it was thrown to him. He made some tough catches across the middle late in the game and he could easily become the goto receiver in 3rd down situations...

I think a lot of Wilson's success compared to Lloyd had to do with the routes being run though. Wilson ran a lot of slant and fade patterns, while Lloyd was stuck doing a lot of hook routes and short yardage plays designed to get him the ball in the open field. It seemed that some of the plays were specifically designed for Lloyd and the ball was being forced to him in tight coverage.

Lloyd looked a little tenative out there in his first week as a starter and it may take him a little time to adjust to playing a full NFL game IMO. Although he only made a five catches for something like 30 yards, Lloyd was pretty much blanketed on every play and there wasn't really much he could do all day long. He lost a touchdown late in the game when he slightly mistimed an endzone leap, and then when he had it in his hands on a second effort, it was knocked away. The Niner's also went to Lloyd on the deciding 2-point conversion at the end of the game.
-----

Neither WR was overly favored by either QB and they both saw a lot of passes come their way. Generally speaking, Dorsey seemed like a much more effective QB option and it shows in his respective completion % and yards per attempt.

C.Wilson:
Targets-11 (7 Rattay, 4 Dorsey)
Catches-8 (5 Rattay, 3 Dorsey)
Redzone-3 targets, 1 TD

B.Lloyd:
Targets-14 (8 Rattay, 6 Dorsey)
Catches-5 (2 Rattay, 3 Dorsey)
Redzone-3 targets
----

One last note, TE Eric Johnson was a FORCE late in the game. On the final drive that brought the Niner's within two points, Eric Johnson was targeted 5 times and he also caught nearly everything thrown his way.

E.Johnson
Targets- 9 (8 Rattay, 1 Dorsey)
Catches- 8 (7 Rattay, 1 Dorsey)
Redzone- 2 targets, 1 TD
Last Drive- 5 targets, 4 catches

good info, thanks for the analysis Kensat ;-D
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:40 am

Good thread. Very helpful. So I guess the Niners suck and will be passing the ball quite a bit this season, eh?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Trap » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:01 pm

I went to work.. came home.. and this thread got even better. Thanks fellas.
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mr.Joshua » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:10 pm

excellent info for Lloyd owners...thanks
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby MadScott » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:29 pm

I agree with all of you analysis Kensat. Lloyd was treated as the #1 threat at WR and drew their, best cover corner, Webster (ex-49er of course), who did a nice job on him most of the day. Wilson really was given the better opportunities on the field.

I totally agree about Dorsey moving the team better than Rattay. Truthfully, I don't think Rattay is completely healed yet. Dorsey also has more upside, IMO. I'm pretty sure that we've seen Rattay's best.

Nice call on Johnson as well. The coaching staff was really talking him up in camp, saying that he could very well be their top WR this season. He actually played WR in college, I believe at Yale. His speed at the TE spot is such that he gets favorable LB matchups. He could really open some eyes this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:09 pm

very informative thread.......I'm in a 12 team league with not much left out in free agents. I lost Charles Rogers Sunday and go first in the waiver wire. From what I am seeing, picking up Cedrick Wilson (he's available, Lloyd isn't) is a good option to replace Rogers right now, correct?
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk