um...can we talk Favre? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

um...can we talk Favre?

Moderator: Football Moderators

um...can we talk Favre?

Postby Ben_ffc » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:11 am

i needed just a few more than his 11 points last night. in fact, i was counting on more than 11.

is the sentiment in here that this performance was indicative of his subsequent starts?

i know--it wasn't a bad start. but carolina's run defense is really good, and ahman green (and that massive line) mauled them. why would any other game be any different?

i was suspecting more of a balanced attack from green bay, and am now considering (*gulp*) the possibility of carson palmer (among others) for brett favre. unthinkable only two weeks ago, i'm openly receiving every offer that requests favre.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AsianChexMix » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:41 am

Don't argue about that...what about those owners who benched C Mart and he did better than T. Green, D. Mason, J. McCareins, D. McAllister, R. Johnson and A. Gates combined and almost lost if it weren't for GB def...oh by the way thats me. It's part of the game. You know Favre can do better so why lose faith in him for 1 game? Am I going to ditch those 6 just because they had an off game?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby crimsonrebel » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:28 am

I just saw this Am on NFL Total Access that GB's pass attempts per game has been dropping almost be 2 per season over the last 5 years. Farve is getting old. He's still good, but the have to protect him now, which means running the ball when they can.
crimsonrebel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:46 am

Ben - we all knew coming into the season that GB was a running team by almost any measure. Even still, Favre led the league in TD passes. I would do nothing at this point in terms of trying to move him. Just be patient. He will be solid for you all yr - but not spectacular.

He didnt look sharp last night, but I guess he didnt have to with the way the running game was working for them. Then again - if you remember from last yr, Favre looked pretty bad most of the yr - really having a hard time throwing the long pass. He just didnt look crisp anymore. Regardless - he did throw 32 Tds.

You just have to be patient with him and temper your expectations. If you thought you were getting a top 5 QB in him, then you might want to reconsider - top 10 yes, top 5 no.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Ben_ffc » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:46 am

if we're still talking top 10, then i'm cool...but when i saw how good ahman green looked against a supposedly scary carolina run defense, it made me wonder--why would GB increase their passing attack at all?

obviously, if we don't see more passing, then we're looking at a qb who's no longer in the top-10. that's when i start having to consider these palmer-for-favre deals.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bungle613 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:05 am

Favre will get you your points. The deal with him is that it comes in batches. He has his 1 td game, then a 1 td 3 int game then his 4 td game.

I agree with Cornbread that it's not a really big surprise. GB has become a running team. You can't rely on Favre every week. He may win you a couple games but he is no longer elite when it comes to FF QB's.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Big Game JLo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 am

I've officially switched over to my backup QB... Tom Brady. GB is a running team. They have the best offensive line in the NFL. Ahman deserves to have the ball. I think the stat last night was something like 48 run plays vs 20+ pass plays. I firmly believe this is what you will see all year long.

NE on the other hand is a pass heavy team. I like Favre better, but I doubt we'll see more passing than running.

---------------------------------

8 Team Head-to-Head League:
QB: Brett Favre, Tom Brady
WR: Santana Moss, Lavernues Coles, Derrick Mason, Donte' Stallworth, Ashley Lelie
RB: Ahman Green, Domanick Davis, Brian Westbrook, Quentin Griffin, Lamar Gordon
TE: Boo Williams
K: Jay Feely
DEF: KC
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:05 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:I've officially switched over to my backup QB... Tom Brady. GB is a running team. They have the best offensive line in the NFL. Ahman deserves to have the ball. I think the stat last night was something like 48 run plays vs 20+ pass plays. I firmly believe this is what you will see all year long.

NE on the other hand is a pass heavy team. I like Favre better, but I doubt we'll see more passing than running.

Be very careful there. I know what NE looked like this past week, but dont expect to see the same type of pass/rush %s in other games. That was presumably tailored around a couple things: IND's secondary was suspect, adn NE didnt have a decent backup RB so they used Dillon sparingly. This team is actually more balanced than people think. Last yr they only threw 53% - and now they have an elite RB. The point is to temper your expectations for Brady too. He is maddeningly inconsistant.

I think between the 2 you have either a great combo, or a combo that will cause you to lose all your hair by seasons end.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:25 pm

I think you'll see Favre's yardage total remain low, 175 - 225 for most games. But he's still a very effective passer in the red zone, and with their offense he should have plenty of opportunity to toss TD passes. I wouldn't be surprised if he thorws 30 again this season.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigMusky » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:32 pm

not everyone will be as pathetic against the run and the Pack will have to throw. Plus Favre is always good for at least 6 td's in the two games against the bears.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk