Is Fox out of his mind? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Fox out of his mind?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Fox out of his mind?

Postby wizbang » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:41 am

He called 41 pass plays and only 12 run plays (Delhomme had one scramble). Uh, buddy I realize that you feel like a kid with a new toy after watching your passing game down the stretch last season. However, you got to where you did by controlling the clock, keeping your defense rested and cramming the ball down the throats of your opponents.

This reminded me of New England the year after their first superbowl. Belichek opened up their offense all the way and while they moved the ball they lost too many games along the way.

It may be overeacting but I'm predicting that Carolina misses the playoffs. That game wasn't as close as the score indicated. It could easily have been 31-7.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:43 am

they did not look very good at all, but was only the first game of the season. I think the loss of Steve Smith will help them get back to the punishing style of Football the Panthers excel at.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:56 am

I know the competition was stiff against GB, but I agree with wizbang in that CAR does not look like a playoff team. They won a lot of close games last yr using a ballcontrol offense and a stiff defense. Last night GB basically did whatever they wanted toagainst CAR offensively (the GB WRs looked weak however), and CAR played an offensive style that could hardly be considered ball control. Basically they didnt show any of the attributes that made them a strong playoff team. Oh yeah - they just lost their top WR.

CAR will not make the playoffs.

Dont tell me Im overreacting either - I predicted they wouldnt make the playoffs weeks ago.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wizbang » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:07 am

Cornbread, halfway through the game I was wondering what Fox was thinking. Did he keep throwing the ball almost to prove a point (ie put 8 in the box against us and we have the tools to burn you). -or- Has he lost faith in his running game.

8 in the box with constant blitzing is not all that difficult to beat if you trust your OL. Lots of delay running plays (draws, counters, etc.), lots of screens (which worked EVERY TIME Delhomme was able to get rid of the ball), some misdirection and a good dose of three step drops.

Fox ran the screen a few time but not nearly enough, never beat GB with the run and really never tried, and kept going to playaction 5-7 step drops.

Meanwhile, how devastating is it to see Rogers go down like that! I felt sick all day. Rogers has looked awesome every time he sees the field so it's tough to consider that the Lions man never get production from him. It reminds me of watching Crowell's career go up in flames.

btw, I had intended to post this in the Venting forum and don't know how it ended up here?
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:17 am

Didnt CAR lose a good chunk of their starting Oline from last yr? If so Id imagine that made the biggest impact to this team - maybe Fox is right to be concerned and try to open it up. Maybe CAR really does have problems running the ball this yr. If thats the case, they might as well pack it in now. I apologize for being harsh about it, but I do think its the truth - if CAR cant run, they're done.

As for Rogers :~(

Its really a sad day for anyone that saw him play over the last few yrs - both at State and in Motown. He is/was easily one of the most gifted WRs I have ever seen, and this is coming from someone who almost never acknowledges good things coming out of that farm college.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:49 am

What I thought was the most alarming about the Panthers, and you could say the same about the Pats, is their inability to stop the run. Both the Pack and the Colts ran at will against a couple of Ds that were great against rushing last season. And now the Panthers D gets a breather; Priest. :-o
I predict a lot of running from both teams.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bungle613 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:01 am

Hey Wiz,

I think you hit the nail on the head hwen you commented "trust your OL". They don't and can't. The O-Line has been devastated this year. 1 returning player. 8 in the box against that weak of an OL and the logical thing to do is pass. Davis would have got stuffed time and time again. A slightly better chance with Foster I think. Foster can get toi the hole quicker and accelerate faster than Davis. I would have liked to seen more screens when GB lined up 8 but until the new line meshes, you may be in for a long season.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:11 pm

Bottom line is GB controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. It really was a case of the best o-line in the league, GB, pounding the best d-line in the league, the Panthers, all night long.

As for Car. lack of running, I credit that as much to GB scheme as Car. lack of blocking. They blitzed to stop the run, they blitzed to stop the pass, hell, they are still blitzing. GBs defense was in regular season form while the Car. offense looked like it was still preseason.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:30 pm

I was fairly optimistic about Carolina until Smith went down, right now I'm not so sure about their playoff chances.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk