Eagles rush defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles rush defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eagles rush defense

Postby biju » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:54 pm

Ok, so one thing I try to do in evaluating who to start for RB is by figuring out if the upcoming D is going to stop them consistently. This week I'm looking at the Eagles defense.

If you combine all of the Giants runningbacks you'll get 23 carries for 170 yards, for a whopping 7.39 yards per carry (ypc). Of course, the 72 yard rip Tiki Barber had was kind of during slop time so just for the sake of it let's pull that one play out. You still end with 98 yards on 22 carries, or 4.45 ypc.

Out of context though, they did manage 5 sacks however the pass rush is quite a different scheme.

So, does the Eagles defense against the run suck, or have I (chuckle, chuckle) underestimated Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne? Is this a defense we can expect to run over each week?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hawksfan896 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:57 pm

Eagles run D is not bad. A lot of those yards came in "garbage time". The Giants didn't try to come back at the end of the game, and were running against an Eagles D that was obviously expecting passes. Tiki's big run wasn't the only junk run.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:07 pm

I read some stat that they only allowed like less than 5 TDs to opposing RBs last year.

They give up yards between the 20s last year, but TDs were hard to come by.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby klgreen1973 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 pm

hawksfan896 wrote:Eagles run D is not bad. A lot of those yards came in "garbage time". The Giants didn't try to come back at the end of the game, and were running against an Eagles D that was obviously expecting passes. Tiki's big run wasn't the only junk run.

Not bad...they could not stop a pop warner squad after week #12 last year (gave up something like 160 yards/game). Teams that can run the ball are going to kill the Eagles this year. They did not do anything to address their poor run D from last year (and "the freak" is not all that good against the run). Look at what the NYG did and they aren't though of as a good running team???
klgreen1973
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:44 pm

IMO, when Philly let go of Emmons, Trotter and Company at linebacker, they lost a step to the backups..but they don't allow td's...just yards... :-? Kinda a mixed emotion team for most people on their d aginst run...
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk