Formula - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Formula

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Arlo » Wed May 14, 2003 2:36 pm

First off, I can't take credit for either a formula or the rankings themselves, which are the work of Dan Spazierer, using the formula:

1 point per 20 yards passing
4 points per passing td
1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving
6 points per rushing/receiving td
3 points per field goal

(The reason for this scoring in these preliminary rankings is that these are the points used in a cheat sheet contest Dan has been invited to.)

As to the rankings themselves, I was also a bit surprised by some (you may know by now that I'm a lot higher on Darrell Jackson, for instance), but I'll be the first to admit that Dan has been right an astonishing number of times when I've thought him wrong...

At any rate, we'll see what happens. Keep in mind that these are very, very early rankings, and their main purpose is to spark discussions such as this one. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joester » Wed May 14, 2003 2:51 pm

Well Hines at 28 and Keyshawn at 7 need to be flip flopped and deuce should at least crack the top 6
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JayM09 » Wed May 14, 2003 3:05 pm

roy williams at #12 for db's :-t

he's top 3 for sure
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed May 14, 2003 3:58 pm

Well, I'd probably be a bit cautious with Williams - DB's who prove themselves in their rookie season often find offenses avoiding them the following year, and the same might happen to Williams. He'll doubtless be among the best on the field, but whether the same is true for fantasy purposes is one of the more interesting defensive questions this year...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Wed May 14, 2003 5:18 pm

Arlo wrote:Well, I'd probably be a bit cautious with Williams - DB's who prove themselves in their rookie season often find offenses avoiding them the following year, and the same might happen to Williams. He'll doubtless be among the best on the field, but whether the same is true for fantasy purposes is one of the more interesting defensive questions this year...

Same thing happens to Champ Bailey. One of the best in the Game but not good Fantasy wise for the same reason!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Arlo » Wed May 14, 2003 5:28 pm

Roseman wrote:Same thing happens to Champ Bailey. One of the best in the Game but not good Fantasy wise for the same reason!!

Don't remind me. I thought Bailey might be an exception and drafted him a bit earlier than I should have last season... !+)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DUKE » Wed May 14, 2003 10:54 pm

Yes, They avoid DB's such as Bailey in the passing game, which can lower their int. total, but in Williams' case, most of his fantasy value is in his tackles. He is definitely a top fantasy DB. IMHO, The most significant factor in decreasing a DB's fantasy value is when their defense improves up front, decreasing the open field tackles for the DB's. That's why you see these DBs from horrible defenses racking up the highest # of tackles.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby cwebb » Thu May 15, 2003 4:14 am

Drafting individual defensive players can be a lot of fun.

And so is making your own cheat sheets, take this one and modify it to your liking, that's the best way to end up with your favorite team and not somebody else's.

I like to have a cheat sheet at hand for my drafts just to make sure I don't overlook anyone, but I rarely draft rookies (except the very best) and only go for proven players which has always resulted in good teams with one of the best benches in their respective league. That's because many choose to draft sleepers or rookies before a proven third-tier back or receiver.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Petey » Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 am

One question- Where's Julius Peppers?
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby DUKE » Thu May 15, 2003 9:36 am

petey wrote:One question- Where's Julius Peppers?

Good question
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk