Best Athletes. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best Athletes.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby kashikis » Fri May 16, 2003 12:51 pm

badminton may be tough but still the top raquetball player has to be a better athlete then a badminton guy
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Fri May 16, 2003 1:47 pm

Just for the record I was being 100% sarcastic)
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri May 16, 2003 2:13 pm

no doubt......................LOL ;-D ;-D ;-D :-] :-)
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Nero » Thu May 22, 2003 9:45 am

Roseman wrote:Not that Vick isnt a great athlete it is just a bit of a surprise that a Football player is the best.

I would have assumed, a soccer or hockey or even basketball would top the list. Those three are much more physically demanding sports than football.

Well here's the Madrid in me...let me say that having played soccer, ice hockey and football at above HS level I can say that they are completely different stories.

First off...Ronaldo isn't the most explosive there is but that's another topic for discussion. Soccer does have dead time...even the best strikers and forwards out there only expect 6-8 real opportunities with the ball during a 90 minute game.

Football has a ton of contact which really wears you down but still I don't think it's close to the toughest.

Frankly, and let me put this as clearly as I can...ICE HOCKEY is by far the most intense sport on the body. Skating full blast for 60 seconds will leave your muscles sore as hell even if you are in shape. Then there's the contact and then the balance and control...and lastly actually handling the puck. To put this in perspective...even at the highest levels of pro and international hockey, the longest a coach will EVER let a player stay out on the ice for with no stoppages in play is roughly 90 seconds. Considering that there are usually 4 offensive lines and only 3 defensive (meaning D guys play 33% more per game) my vote goes to offensive minded defenseman like Chris Pronger and Niklas Lidstrom. Those guys don't just defend...they QB the power play and are expected to run breakouts from the defensive zone and then get back on defense BEFORE the other O gets to the puck..not backchecking like the forwards do
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu May 22, 2003 9:54 am

Nero wrote:
Roseman wrote:Not that Vick isnt a great athlete it is just a bit of a surprise that a Football player is the best.

I would have assumed, a soccer or hockey or even basketball would top the list. Those three are much more physically demanding sports than football.

Well here's the Madrid in me...let me say that having played soccer, ice hockey and football at above HS level I can say that they are completely different stories.

First off...Ronaldo isn't the most explosive there is but that's another topic for discussion. Soccer does have dead time...even the best strikers and forwards out there only expect 6-8 real opportunities with the ball during a 90 minute game.

Football has a ton of contact which really wears you down but still I don't think it's close to the toughest.

Frankly, and let me put this as clearly as I can...ICE HOCKEY is by far the most intense sport on the body. Skating full blast for 60 seconds will leave your muscles sore as hell even if you are in shape. Then there's the contact and then the balance and control...and lastly actually handling the puck. To put this in perspective...even at the highest levels of pro and international hockey, the longest a coach will EVER let a player stay out on the ice for with no stoppages in play is roughly 90 seconds. Considering that there are usually 4 offensive lines and only 3 defensive (meaning D guys play 33% more per game) my vote goes to offensive minded defenseman like Chris Pronger and Niklas Lidstrom. Those guys don't just defend...they QB the power play and are expected to run breakouts from the defensive zone and then get back on defense BEFORE the other O gets to the puck..not backchecking like the forwards do

And what I love most about nhl hockey players is some are no bigger than me,,,and drink and smoke just like me......now thats an athlete who can down a few beers smoke a pack and net a couple,,,
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Nero » Thu May 22, 2003 10:11 am

well those guys are forwards....defenseman have started ranging into the 220lb range in good quantity
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk