It's On. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It's On.

Moderator: Football Moderators

It's On.

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu May 15, 2003 12:04 pm

Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb? That is the big question in Cleveland, and the contest between the two began Wednesday when Coach Butch Davis kicked off the Browns' "quarterback school."

During the next month, through 14 team practices, Davis and his staff will evaluate Couch, the four-year incumbent, against Holcomb, the overnight playoff-game standout. The sessions will be closed to the media and public, and might determine the No. 1 quarterback going into training camp.

Couch hasn't been a backup since taking over the Browns' job one game into his rookie season in 1999. Holcomb has never had a chance at a starting job in six seasons with three NFL teams.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Holcomb

Postby DraftDodger » Thu May 15, 2003 12:17 pm

Holcomb is the guy I'd want but old school NFL thinking may have Couch at the helm for years to come. Holcomb proved that the receivers are open but that Couch doesn't get the ball to them. Whether its better vision or better accuracy, or even both, Holcomb just seems more capable of delivering the ball.

The main thing with the QB situation is A) get the right guy in there starting but also B) keep the other guy feeling important and useful in case he has to replace the starter. That's a tall order for the coaching staff. This would be my announcement to the press:

"We have two excellent quarterbacks, guys who could go in and start for alot of other clubs, and we can only start one of them. We've seen alot of what Tim can do, and we know that we can count on him if we need him, so we're going to take a look at Kelly and see if he may be our main guy. We are confident that we can win with either of these quarterbacks, and we see them both in the team's future, but for now, our starter is going to be Kelly Holcomb."
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu May 15, 2003 12:27 pm

DD that might bring a tear to Slows eye!...lol......this is close to the same situation in St. Louis....Bulger deserves a shot..he proved himself...but he wont get it...it will be intresting to see how this works out in Cle and how it works out in St. louis.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu May 15, 2003 12:27 pm

Whose it gonna be? I wouldn't want to be in the coaches shoes when they pick Couch... :-o
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu May 15, 2003 1:36 pm

Its an uphill battle for Holcomb, not only does he have to show he is as good as Couch, he has to show that he is substantially better to win the starting job.

Couch will open the season and im guessing Holcomb will close it.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Thu May 15, 2003 2:11 pm

The better player should prevail here....But as Kelly Holcomb said in an interview last week, "Its easy to look good doing 7 on 7 drills. Anyone can look good there."

Kelly is a gunslinger with confidence. He has no problems throwing the ball where it needs to be and he has gained the respect and loyalty from most of the team with his leadership and talent. Couch knows this. He knows that he will have a tough time these next few months to prove that he should be the starter. Trust me, this duel will continue into the preseason. As it stands right now, Kelly has the respect of the players and the coaches. Couch is still around because the higher-ups do not want to believe that they "wasted" so much money on so little talent. Cincinnati learned early that Smith was not "the one", but apparently some people take a lil longer to learn their mistakes.

(and DD...that did make me sniffle a lil...hehehe :-) )
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby joester » Thu May 15, 2003 3:15 pm

If Kelly Holcomb does not start for the browns its like a conspiracy. The guy threw for HUGE playoff #'s last season...... he did a great job in the 1st two games of the year last seaosn, and the browns would be crazy to start a guy who the fans hate. They Booed Tim Couch when he was hurt.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Slingblade » Thu May 15, 2003 3:33 pm

couch is a cry baby...he dosent deserve to play football....go holcomb!!
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk