Julius Jones... the next Dominic Davis? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones... the next Dominic Davis?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:54 am

Here's why I dont like comparisons.

Julie is a rookie, just like DD was last yr, and Larry Johnson too - oh and Rudi - dont forget him. Maybe Julie is the next Suggs. How about the next CBrown, or Cecil Sapp, or Willis McGahee, or Justin Fargas, or Musa Smith?

Other than being a rookie, what else does JJ have in common with any of these guys? Team situation? of course not.

I think at this point its pretty clear DAL does not have a good runblocking oline. However - I think that what Parcells did last week was genius if he truly expects to have any type of running game. Obviously no one - including Parcells - respected DAL passing game last yr. If they can show that they have 3 legit WRs, an Oline that can give the QB time, and a QB that can get it to the WRs - that just opened up the running game. Basically Parcells stepped outside of his comfort level last week in throwing so often - and that alone will force defensive coaches to go back to the drawing board. No longer will games against Parcells be a game of attrition where everyone knows they are going to run. If he is successful in keeping defensive coordinators on their back foot, then I can see Julie being successful. If he goes back to a style that he is known for - smashmouth running - then Julie will not be that successful because their Oline isnt good enough and Ds can key on it.

Either way though, KJones will be much more successful simply because he is the next Barry Sanders. They were both Lions werent they? :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:10 am

Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby King Titan » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:18 am

bagobonez wrote:Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?


Bagabonez your messing up dude - you're trying to reason with these geniuses. Most of these guys think Madden 2005 is the REAL NFL. They're living in a fantasy world literally and if someone like you or I go against the grain and say something not so nice about McNabb, TO, M Harrison we're stupid, homers, racists, idiots blah blah blah ...
I am The Lizard King I can do ANYTHING!!

Jim Morrison was a Titan Fan ....
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 187
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:34 am

bagobonez wrote:Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?


yes - absolutely. I completely agree. However - If you want to start a thread on how we should be skeptical about KJones too, thats fine, but this thread was about Julie. KJones has what to do with Julie?

I do want to say in DET's defense though, that it would be a mistake to think DET doesnt have a good runblocking oline simply because of their numbers from last yr. They may not have a good runblocking oline - but last yrs stats would be a poor indicator if they do or not - thats the point.

KT - we have a Tennessee Titans Forum if you would feel more comfortable there. BTW - I dont play video games. The reason we say you are a stupid homer is that you act like a stupid homer. I have seen you have some pretty good arguments on occasion, but the majority of your schtick is predictable pro-TEN anti-PHI blather. I must have missed the thread where you were being racist too.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby King Titan » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:41 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?


yes - absolutely. I completely agree. However - If you want to start a thread on how we should be skeptical about KJones too, thats fine, but this thread was about Julie. KJones has what to do with Julie?

I do want to say in DET's defense though, that it would be a mistake to think DET doesnt have a good runblocking oline simply because of their numbers from last yr. They may not have a good runblocking oline - but last yrs stats would be a poor indicator if they do or not - thats the point.

KT - we have a Tennessee Titans Forum if you would feel more comfortable there. BTW - I dont play video games. The reason we say you are a stupid homer is that you act like a stupid homer. I have seen you have some pretty good arguments on occasion, but the majority of your schtick is predictable pro-TEN anti-PHI blather. I must have missed the thread where you were being racist too.


I've always admitted to being a homer but I'm far from stupid - it's just part of the game ... Don't hate just because Mac9 is #1 and McNabb is in the middle tier of QB's .... Believe man I pay for my mortgage every month with my football IQ .... Only in America baby ......
I am The Lizard King I can do ANYTHING!!

Jim Morrison was a Titan Fan ....
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 187
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:47 am

This argument is pretty silly. FF owners who ignore the preseason are not smart. You have to take everything with a grain of salt and evaluate every move, game, practice etc.... Then make the decision based on everything you have watched and listen for.

This is the differance in picking T.J. Ducket and not picking Quintin Griffin. Duckett went first b/c he ran for over 10 td's last year and Dunn was hurt in Preseason, but if you watched the Broncos RB situation closely then you would of been smarter to pick QG. GM's that say "Preseason means nothing" are selling themselves short. Everything is something.

Last year right when DD started playing well in Houston and you watched him run and knew the kid had talent you should of found a spot on your roster for him. You can't wait until a player breakouts b/c you will most likely miss out on getting him on the Waiver Wire unless your at the bottom of your league already.

Be smart, watch everything and don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a player that you believe in.

With all that said "I believe in JJ, he will be the starter very soon".

Good Luck to all.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 549
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:28 pm

King Titan wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?


Bagabonez your messing up dude - you're trying to reason with these geniuses. Most of these guys think Madden 2005 is the REAL NFL. They're living in a fantasy world literally and if someone like you or I go against the grain and say something not so nice about McNabb, TO, M Harrison we're stupid, homers, racists, idiots blah blah blah ...
No, your stupid because you said Steve McNair was better then Peyton Manning when Manning has been better for the past 5 years.... Didn't you say Mason was the #1 WR too? Im skeptical about any rookie. Im not saying JJ is going to Portis it. But I think he has a shot to get DD rookie numbers from last year. Also, MR G, do you have any response for your curious flaming of me?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4738
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AKA CubsFan7724

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:52 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Cornbread, you never answered my question.

If you're going to hate "Julie" because of Dallas' offensive line, shouldn't you be skeptical of Kevin Jones and the Lions' offensive line as well? Can't defenses key on him too until Joey Harrington proves he's a weapon?


yes - absolutely. I completely agree. However - If you want to start a thread on how we should be skeptical about KJones too, thats fine, but this thread was about Julie. KJones has what to do with Julie?

I do want to say in DET's defense though, that it would be a mistake to think DET doesnt have a good runblocking oline simply because of their numbers from last yr. They may not have a good runblocking oline - but last yrs stats would be a poor indicator if they do or not - thats the point.

KT - we have a Tennessee Titans Forum if you would feel more comfortable there. BTW - I dont play video games. The reason we say you are a stupid homer is that you act like a stupid homer. I have seen you have some pretty good arguments on occasion, but the majority of your schtick is predictable pro-TEN anti-PHI blather. I must have missed the thread where you were being racist too.


The reason I bring up Kevin Jones is because someone posted a thread about Chris Brown, Tiki Barber, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Lamar Gordon and Tyrone Wheatley, and you ranked Julius dead last on that list, and then list Dallas' offensive line as the reason you don't like him, when Detroit ranked dead last in rushing last year.

As far as basing Detroit's run blocking abilities on last year's numbers, I completely agree. They added Damien Woody who is a top 5 center/guard in the league, and improved at RB. Kevin Jones' talent alone ought to bring them up 5-10 slots in the rankings as far as rushing goes. I had Shawn Bryson as my backup last year and believe me, it was ugly.

But I have faith in Kevin Jones. That's why I selected him as my backup, and if Barlow doesn't show some improvement, he might unseat Barlow as my starter.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:51 pm

Looks like you guys were right after all.

They're similar in that they are both injury-prone.

Looks like a long season of Eddie George and his 2.X YPC.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:02 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Looks like you guys were right after all.

They're similar in that they are both injury-prone.

Looks like a long season of Eddie George and his 2.X YPC.


I'll take through 2 - 252 @ 6+ per worth of injuries ....
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 176
Joined: 20 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Brentwood, TN

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:33 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact