Shutdown Cornerbacks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shutdown Cornerbacks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Johnny Nashville » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:41 pm

steelyeri wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I was really impressed with Woodson matching up with one of the most physically gifted WRs in the NFL last week (Plaxico Burress) and absolutely locking him down.

And this after he missed all of training camp! I saw him shutdown randy moss and help last year's raiders (emphasis on last year's) beat the vikings. I don't see how he is anything less than top 3 in the league. Personally I think he is #2 after McCallister, #3 would probably be ty law.

He'll shut down Randy, then the following the week allow Drew Bennett to look like the real Randy .... Comes and goes to much for me ....
Johnny Nashville
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:42 pm

What about Bailey and Surtain?
I'd say it goes Champ, McAlister, Surtain, Woodson, Law.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaChiefs » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:45 pm

I think dre bly is amazing. 2nd tier?
DaChiefs Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:47 pm

yup - bly is good - but he isnt a 1st tier CB. He is also injured currently.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Johnny Nashville » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:48 pm

DaChiefs wrote:I think dre bly is amazing. 2nd tier?

He without a doubt has a nose for the ball but I think physical REC gives him problems occasionly .... He's good though ...
You can't ban me, only hope to contain me ....

The truth is the light of the world ....
Johnny Nashville
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby CC » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Not a big Bly fan, he makes big plays but he's susceptible to getting beat. Not a great cover corner in my mind, although he is a playmaker.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sleeper » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Charles Tillman hasn't been mentioned yet. He's not a big name, but he will be well known by the end of the year.
sleeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:10 pm

sleeper wrote:Charles Tillman hasn't been mentioned yet. He's not a big name, but he will be well known by the end of the year.

I havent followed him all that much, but I have heard a lot of hype. Cant take much from last week because of the Rogers injury, and it will be difficult to guage his performance this week because of the depth at WR for GB, but when he goes head to head with Moss in week 3 Ill be paying attention.

You have to realize though, an elite shutdown corner is one of the rarest things in the NFL. He could be very good and still not be that kind of guy. This is one of the reasons every DEN fan loved the Portis for Bailey trade.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:09 pm

Of all teams, Minnesota has an impressive looking secondary. Someone mentioned Antione Winfield, but Brian Williams, while not necessarily the best cover guy in the league, is a big hitter who makes receivers think twice about extending for balls. Add in the two safeties (Chavous and Brian Russell), who combined for 17 picks last year (yep, 17) and that's a pretty stout secondary, which should feel a little less pressure than most with the high octane offense. Keyshawn's outta nowhere performance aside, you might think twice about a guy going against the Minny secondary. Monday will be a good test with TO.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk