DeLa Hoya VS. Hopkins This Weekend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

DeLa Hoya VS. Hopkins This Weekend

Moderator: Football Moderators

DeLa Hoya VS. Hopkins This Weekend

Postby DUKE » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:09 pm

I tune into most of the fights, but only post about the big ones on here. This one Definitely qualifies! Hopkins is favored, but it's hard to not give DLH a shot, as he's one of those fighters who steps it up in prime time. He looked bad and undersized in his last fight vs. Sturm, but I could see him looking much more effective this time out at middleweight. For those who care, who are you picking? Who are you taking Jay?

I'm picking DLH to pull out the upset, making that 6 titles is 6 different weight classes. ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:25 pm

Hopkins is one of the most dominating boxers in the world today, and expect him to win by TKO around the 9th or 10th

Am I good or what? I didn't think it was a great fight, not a lot of action, but both fighters looked pretty good. DLH looked a lot quicker than he did against Sturm and Hopkins was his usual dominating self. I think rematch with Roy Jones or a fight vs. Tarver would be good options for Hopkin's next fight.

On a related note, Morrales and Barrera signed for another fight yesterday, and I didn't see either of the 1st 2 but by seeing the clips it looks like it is a trilogy much the same as Gatti vs. Mickey Ward, I'm for sure going to watch the next one.
Last edited by Canadian_Cheesehead on Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:39 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I was really unimpressed with De La Hoya's effort against Sturm, and like most people, thought he deserved to lose the fight. I think Hopkins is one of the most dominating boxers in the world today, and expect him to win by TKO around the 9th or 10th, then again you can never count out DLH.

Plus, who do you like for Mayorga v. Trinidad Duke? I'm a big Tito fan, and I really hope this big money fight (with a $5 millon side bet) comes to fruition even in light of Mayorga's recent trouble with the cops.

Good Question Cheesehead ;-D I'm really hoping this fight comes off too. Signs point to it happening. It really depends on how Tito is after such a lengthy layoff. I'm suprised he's taking on a fighter like Mayorga without any kind of tune-up. Stylistically, Mayorga matches up well. He struggles with defensive/pure boxers, which Tito is not. He has a heavy punch and Tito isn't adverse to touching the canvas. Even though what I just wrote endorses a Mayorga win, I'm going to say that Tito is ready and beats Mayorga via TKO. It's still a very intriguing matchup. I'll look you up when that fight gets closer (don't forget Mosely/Wright either) B-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:37 pm

big (well big enough) DLH fan and I think he'll lose,,,,,I don't want him to but he will :-t
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby CC » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:40 pm

I declined to mention Mosley/Wright as I think Sugar Shane is going to lose, again.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tman570 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:28 pm

I think Hopkins will win the fight, should be a good one though.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BGbootha » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:04 pm

If I was going to bet on it i would have a tough time betting on DLH, but the fact is the only reason i am not betting on it is because i really like DLH and would love to see him win it. But again i just don't see it happening.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:46 am

Did you see the Mexican guy on the undercard get knocked out in 30 seconds? - what a shot.

As for DLH, he did as well as he could. First knock out in a 12 year career, not bad.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JayM09 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:38 am

i didnt get this fight, i was still miffed about the jones/tarver fight, so i didnt want to fork over 50 plus bucks for a short fight.

sounds like dlh made a great effort, but couldnt overcome hopkins. ill have to watch it next week on cable to see for myself
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:30 am

Hopkins is one of the most dominating boxers in the world today, and expect him to win by TKO around the 9th or 10th

Am I good or what? I didn't think it was a great fight, not a lot of action, but both fighters looked pretty good. DLH looked a lot quicker than he did against Sturm and Hopkins was his usual dominating self. I think rematch with Roy Jones or a fight vs. Tarver would be good options for Hopkin's next fight.

On a related note, Morrales and Barrera signed for another fight yesterday, and I didn't see either of the 1st 2 but by seeing the clips it looks like it is a trilogy much the same as Gatti vs. Mickey Ward, I'm for sure going to watch the next one.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk