Clarification on punctuation-alliteration? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Clarification on punctuation-alliteration?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dub-Dub » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:10 pm

Not sure if this is the best or worst thread ever... a noob giving the rest of the forum lessons on how we should be writing... then some school house rock and then 3' High... then some HS english to close...

It's a toss-up.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fast Eddy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:00 pm

Diablo13 wrote:
Chopper wrote:Fast Eddy,
Thanks for initiating this nostalgiac trip and making some of us feel a little older. But where is the alliteration lesson the title suggests?

The word alliteration is a way of writing poetry......
I think the word you were looking for is "literation"

Sorry......
I'll shut up now, lol!

Actually, Webster says it is "the repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables (as wild and woolly, threatening throngs) -- called also head rhyme, initial rhyme"

I knew it had something to do with rhyming so I threw it in there...
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:14 am

Here's something else to add to the "bad grammar" department:

Yahoo! News wrote:Missouri Man Legally Changes His Name to 'They'

BRANSON, Mo. - A Branson man has put a face to the anonymous references people often make to "they" by changing his name to just that: "They." The former Andrew Wilson, a 43-year-old self-employed inventor, was granted legal permission last week by a circuit judge to change his name.

It's just They, no surname.

He also has changed his driver's license to reflect his new name.
They said he did it for humor to address the common reference to "they." "'They do this,' or 'They're to blame for that.' Who is this 'they' everyone talks about? 'They' accomplish such great things. Somebody had to take responsibility," he said. Now, his friends are getting used to his new name. "They call up and say, 'Is They there?'"

He acknowledged the name could drive grammarians crazy. "Not only is he making a statement about his name, but he's messing with the entire English language," friend Craig Erickson said.

They holds 14 patents including Ground-Effect lighting, used to create a neon glow beneath vehicles and patented in 1987. His newest product is "Shades Eyewear," which have a built-in visor over each sunglass lens. The visors protect the eyes from glare without having to wear a hat, he said.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby South Park Cows » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:07 am

Yahoo! News wrote: "They call up and say, 'Is They there?'"
[/quote]

Now I'm just confused !+)
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:19 am

They is better than what others get stuck with:

Poor dude.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:25 am

:-* :-b :-b

OMG!!! That just made my day. Thanks Mookie!

Here's my question...why would you ever come to America with that name? It may mean something else wherever he was from originally, but here it's pretty bad.

If you look closely you can see the names put the other way in small letters. I wonder which is really his first and last name? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk