no more Tds for henry? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

no more Tds for henry?

Moderator: Football Moderators

no more Tds for henry?

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:03 pm

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=rotowire-ravisenryoongerindin&prov=rotowire&type=lgns&league=nfl

so.. would mcgahee be a better start then henry now??.. i ahve both on my team
Yin_Xu88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: no more Tds for henry?

Postby stikmata » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:15 pm

yin_xu88 wrote:http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=rotowire-ravisenryoongerindin&prov=rotowire&type=lgns&league=nfl

so.. would mcgahee be a better start then henry now??.. i ahve both on my team

i consider anything i hear from the media on this subject BS.. there has been so much unnecessary hype and poor reporting on this topic... henry is the man untill willie proves he is... ON THE FIELD. PERIOD
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelyeri » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:16 pm

From Fanball:

The News
Early on Sunday, a certain sports media source currently celebrating its 25th anniversary reported that Willis McGahee would get significant carries, including at the goal line, against the Jaguars. In reality, McGahee did not touch the ball until the second half, and had eight of his nine carries on the last series of the game, when starter Travis Henry was sitting with cramps. In the only real goal line situation, Henry rushed twice from the Jacksonville three-yard line, but couldn't cross the stripe. Henry finished with 23 carries for 75 yards. McGahee had 31 yards on nine carries.

Our View
It looks like the whole goal line back thing was way overblown. It's still very possible Willis has an impact this year, but Henry is clearly the main man in Buffalo right now. Until we see otherwise during meaningful game action, we're sticking with him in all situations.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:28 pm

I'm glad you posted that, steelyeri. I saw the same thing last Sunday. NFL teams (especially Minnesota) like to give dis or misinformation to disguise their true intentions. Henry got two goal line carries from the 3 last week. He didn't get it in (grrrr), but McGahee was nowhere to be found until the end of the game.

Henry's cramping issue could bring on some more doubts, but I still expect to see him out there. Here's my question - why don't they do what Green Bay is doing with Ahman Green and have McGahee come in for runs in the middle of the field? It would keep Henry fresh for the more important runs, and it would keep McGahee happy. Sure, Henry would lose some yards, but it didn't hurt Ahman last week (119 yards).
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:19 pm

I agree Mercer, why spell your stud back in the red zone. Let the man who got you there get the scores and spell him at midfield. Of course if you have the big, pounding, between the tackles back, then that usually is the better option at the goal-line. Remember Barry Sanders getting all his TD's stolen? Guy wasn't a short yardage type runner, needed to make his ankle breaking cuts.
But for teams like Green Bay, Buffalo, Indy, etc., I like the idea of spelling the studs midfield where your offense has more options, and keeping your RB studs fresh for the more limited red zone offense.
Of course, this is all predicated on having the offensive line and the backup RB's to make this an effective strategy.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:23 pm

Arggh, another Henry media attack. He is the starter, getting all duties until seen on the field.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Burgundy&Gold » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:26 pm

I agree with Mercer, plus as a coach, don't you want to have your no. 1 back on the field once you get into the red zone where opposing d's will be playing even tougher?

Anyway, I dont think you're gonna have a Staley/Bettis situation on your hands in Buffalo. I would stick with Henry until more signs point to McGahee.
Burgundy&Gold
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk