Draft Strategy - Suggestions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategy - Suggestions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy - Suggestions

Postby Champion » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:06 pm

2nd year in a row I've pulled the 2nd overall pick. Needless to say I'll be picking K. Warner. (The first pick will pick M. Faulk, he's in my division and I will be playing him twice. I'll hope to offset M.Faulk numbers on those two weeks.)

Anyway... 2nd round I have the 11th pick and the 3rd Round I have the 11th pick. So I have the 2nd, 23rd, 35th and 38th overall picks for the first 4 rounds.

Normally, I like the strategy of 2 running backs, 2 wide receivers then pick up a quarterback in the 5th round.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding my 2nd round pick. Do I go with a lower rated running back or a higher rated wide receiver. Remember, I have the 11th pick in the 3rd.

My 3rd round is what's really throwing off any strategy. My league ussually drafts running backs first, with only the top rated QB's going in the first. WR's begin going in the second, but I don't like to have my first RB with the 35th pick.

After typing this out, I think I have to go with a higer ranking WR in the second and pick up two running backs with my 35 and 38th picks.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

MY DRAFT SELECTIONS SUCK!
Champion
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CoPlayer » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:44 pm

I wouldn't blow your wad on KWarner, unless your league really favors QB points (e.g., gives full 6 pts for passing TDs).
You can't win the league without at least one, if not two, stud RBs, but you can still win with an average QB. The dropoff in QBs is simply not as sharp.
Also, the WRs corp is very deep this year, meaning that you can still pick up some point-producing WRs in the 4-6 rounds (with some savvy drafting).
I would pick SAlexander or AGreen with that first pick, then take the best available player (including another RB) with your next picks.
Gannon will be around in the 4th round, while McNair, Kordell, Greise, and Bledsoe will be around in rounds 5-6. Given your draft picks, that's the route I would go.
CoPlayer

Friendliness: %

U must take a RB

Postby RayRay » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:41 pm

Buddy RBs are the most important things, U need them to win, if i were u i would take either S. Alexander or A. Green without a doubt. Who ever u like better, i like Alexander, the guy is gonna have an amazing year. There are plenty of elite QBs that will be there late. Gannon, Bledsoe, Green, Griese. They will all do you fine. I won last year with a team of C. Martin, A. Green, R. Moss, D. Boston, and Gannon, Take Gambles, it makes it fun and it will keep you on your toes during the season
RayRay

Postby cwebb » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:53 pm

Nothing left to say...

take gambles but not on running backs!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Champion » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:53 am

Thanks guys.... My league does award 6 pts for a thrown TD + 3 pts for the first 150 yrds thrown and another 1 pt for every 50 yards there after.

It's against my idea's to draft a QB in the first round. However, I need to think about my division rival with the first round pick of M. Faulk.

Thanks about the advise on the wide recievers being deep this year. I'll do my research.

I do value the RB, especially the caliber of a M. Faulk, S. Alexander, or A. Green. However, let's face it K.Warner puts up points.

Just writing this stuff with the thought someone will help me put my mind at ease is great. I know deep down I should pick two running backs with my first and second round picks. I just need to convince myself that I don't need the counter of my division rival with M. Faulk.

Thanks for the input.
Champion
Monday Morning Quarterback

#2 pick

Postby DraftDodgers » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:58 pm

The Rams have one of the toughest schedules ... Green Bay has one of the easiest. I wouldn't be so certain that Faulk and Green are going to be too far apart in numbers this year, especially with the improved receiving corps at Green Bay keeping defenses more honest.

There are lots of solid QBs with the potential to put up big numbers. For God's sake, you have Super Bowl champ Tom Brady listed 16th or deeper on most cheat sheets. With the pat's improved receiving corps, TE situation, and the Colts departing the division, it looks like a big year for Tom Brady. It's a tough schedule, but the good ground defenses suggest that the Pats will have to mount an aerial assault. I see nothing but a big year for Brady, and he can be picked up in the 7th round more than likely.

Point wise, Warner is worth a #2, but look what that does to your depth at RB, the toughest position to adequately fill. And if you scramble to cover that RB depth, your WRs will take a hit. You have Super Bowl calibre QBs like Bledsoe, Stewart, and Brady available in the 6th and 7th rounds, making a #1 QB pick seem pretty pointless.

Grab your two RBs, then you are sitting pretty for a WR. With the 3.2 pick you will have the likes of R. Smith, Holt, J. Smith, and Horn available. Maybe even someone better if a player ahead of you reaches for the likes of Morton, Brown, or Moulds. Your 4th round pick should net you a decent WR, say Glenn, Burress, or Jackson.

After that, just fill in the blanks.
DraftDodgers

Picks

Postby raider8081 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:26 pm

I couldn't agree more. The way you win this game is to pick quality running backs when you can. Don't be foolish a waste a very high pick on the QB position. I have never drafted a QB before the 5th round in any league, there are just too many left to pick from in the 5-7 rounds that are GREAT.
Draft against the grain and you will find yourself picking up great players all draft long. What I mean is this: the guys picking the Warners and Garcias early will be reaching for leftover RBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds while you are picking up the WRs they are letting slip by - because they have to grab RBs. By the time they are scrambling for WRs in the 4-6 rounds you are taking the QBs no one wanted - Gannon, McNair, etc.
This strategy works for me every year, I don't always win, but I rarely have a bad team...
Good Luck
raider8081

Return to Football Talk