Former Heisman winner Salaam signs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to San Francisco 49ers

Former Heisman winner Salaam signs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Former Heisman winner Salaam signs

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed May 28, 2003 7:42 pm

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (May 28, 2003) -- The San Francisco 49ers signed Heisman Trophy-winning running back Rashaan Salaam, who hasn't played in the NFL in four years.

Salaam, who won the Heisman in 1994 with Colorado, signed with the 49ers after impressing the team at a minicamp earlier in the month.

He has been released by four NFL teams in the past four years. Salaam rushed for 1,074 yards and 10 touchdowns during his rookie season with the Chicago Bears, but he was bothered by injuries for the next three seasons.

Salaam played for the Memphis Maniax during the XFL's only season in 2001, but he hasn't played in the NFL since 1999, getting into two games with the Cleveland Browns.

"Hopefully he'll get a chance and take advantage of it," 49ers coach Dennis Erickson said. "He's a good athlete. He's been out of it for a while. We'll just have to wait and see."

Salaam faces a difficult climb to make the 49ers' roster. In addition to the regular tailback tandem of Garrison Hearst and Kevan Barlow, San Francisco still has veteran Paul Smith and former NFL Europe MVP Jamal Robertson.

The 49ers also signed cornerback Keith Heyward-Johnson and defensive end Kai Ellis.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VIPER » Wed May 28, 2003 8:46 pm

I just do not see him making it..I could be wrong but he def. has a uphill battle ahead of him.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu May 29, 2003 7:59 am

could this be the beginning of the end for hearst.???
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby hayesb26 » Thu May 29, 2003 8:04 am

i think last year was the beginning of the end for Mr.Hearst :-)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu May 29, 2003 8:44 am

I read somewhere that hearst would be going so they could get under the salary cap, but Cwebb doesnt seem to think they are going to release him. I cant find the article now either :,-( my thought was they bring this guy in as a fill in albeit a crappy one.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu May 29, 2003 10:07 am

I really don't know what this mean myself. As far as I have read, Hearst is #1 going into the season and is set to split time once again with Barlow. Diffence being this yer, by the second half of the season they will switch (who wants to bet it happens earlier) 1st and 3rd downs. Hearst takeing 3rd and Barlow taking 1st. This switch would result in Brlow gettin the bulk of the workload in the 2nd half and nailing his spot down as the starter.

Make no mistake about it, Hearst is gone after this season. I have a gut feeling that if Buckhalter can't win the job in Philly, Hearst will end up there next season. Duce is out in that town. Wild card here is Westbrook, who knows what he will do for the team.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to San Francisco 49ers