Harrison - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Harrison

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:39 pm

I know what you're getting at. And in some fashion, I agree with you.

But Harrison is as good of a WR as you're going to get in the NFL outside of Owens, Moss, Holt, CJ and Ward. Top 3? really depends on your scoring system, and how much you value "dependability over risk".

Look Harrison is a 9 year vet. That's no Jerry Rice, but it's still pretty long in the tooth. He's got a good WR to steal catches from him, and in an offense that spreads the ball around. He does have some negative attributes.

The positives are he's always capable of 150 and 2 TDs. He's in a pass happy offense, and he's finally got a good WR to take the double team away (yes people it works both ways).

I mean I guess you could infer that he's going down hill when in 2002 he had 143 catches for 1722 yards and 11 touchdowns, and then following it up with ONLY 94/1272/10.

So tell me what "trend" you're looking at?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:41 pm

where does it say 95% of people had Harrison ranked as top 2?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:50 pm

awwchrist wrote:I know what you're getting at. And in some fashion, I agree with you.

But Harrison is as good of a WR as you're going to get in the NFL outside of Owens, Moss, Holt, CJ and Ward. Top 3? really depends on your scoring system, and how much you value "dependability over risk".

Look Harrison is a 9 year vet. That's no Jerry Rice, but it's still pretty long in the tooth. He's got a good WR to steal catches from him, and in an offense that spreads the ball around. He does have some negative attributes.

The positives are he's always capable of 150 and 2 TDs. He's in a pass happy offense, and he's finally got a good WR to take the double team away (yes people it works both ways).

I mean I guess you could infer that he's going down hill when in 2002 he had 143 catches for 1722 yards and 11 touchdowns, and then following it up with ONLY 94/1272/10.

That "trend" right there that you just mentioned. Age 30 (143 1722 11td) Age 31(94 1272 10td) Age 32 (94 for 980 8 td's) ???????
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:58 pm

I really dont have anything to show a 95% number of course. Then again, I never saw a preseason ranking that didnt have him as the #2, so it was more of a conclusion I came to from what I had seen.

awwchrist wrote:I mean I guess you could infer that he's going down hill when in 2002 he had 143 catches for 1722 yards and 11 touchdowns, and then following it up with ONLY 94/1272/10.

As you know, in 2002, Marvelous was the main offensive threat for IND. It was a big yr for him especially with Edge injured and no true #2 WR to steal looks. It shouldnt have been that shocking to see his numbers plummett in 2003 with Edge back and the emergence of Wayne.

There will be at least 4 or 5 games this yr where Marv absolutely goes off - close to 150 yds with a couple TDs. He is still an elite WR. The problem is his new role. How can you deny the theory that he has become more of a possession WR over the last 2 yrs? I got this simply by watching the games. I can see that Wayne is Mannings homerun threat - I dont need stats to prove what I see - but they do prove it. Yesterday Wayne averaged 17 ypc to Marv's 10.

This isnt a far out theory. I am not saying he sucks or shouldnt be rated high. All I am saying is temper your expectations.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:20 pm

Steve_Mac9 wrote:
awwchrist wrote:I know what you're getting at. And in some fashion, I agree with you.

That "trend" right there that you just mentioned. Age 30 (143 1722 11td) Age 31(94 1272 10td) Age 32 (94 for 980 8 td's) ???????

Grated his numbers are slipping but are you seriously admitting that you're going to assume his numbers for this based on the first two games of the season?

I mean cause if that's the case then you must have jumped out of a freakin window after week 3 last year.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:26 pm

Look, the funny thing is that I'm not arguing Harrison should be a top 2 candidate. In fact, I had him ranked behind Moss, Holt, CJ, Owens and Ward in my money league.

But look at what the other WRs had as question marks:

Owens- new team, previous not so great year
Holt - Career year, can he repeat?
CJ - New "rookie" QB, only one great year, can he repeat?
Ward - QB controversy, no running game, no plax.

I mean hell..if you wanted a safe pick outside of Moss, I wouldn't blame anyone for taking Harrison at 2.

As far as numbers are concerned, youre absolutely right not to expect 14 or 1500 yards and 14 touchdowns. I don't think he's that WR either. But he's a safe 1200 10.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:30 pm

awwchrist wrote:
Steve_Mac9 wrote:

Grated his numbers are slipping but are you seriously admitting that you're going to assume his numbers for this based on the first two games of the season?

I mean cause if that's the case then you must have jumped out of a freakin window after week 3 last year.

Nah I'm just saying he is following Tim Brown's footsteps. He is probably going to explode occasionly like Brown did at his age but I think he is in the beginning stages of getting old ....
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:35 pm

I agree more and more that Marvin is becoming a possession guy.

However, two tough defenses already in Tennessee and New England with excellent corners.

Seems next week against GB is no walk in the park either.

I would like to see some more production from him and a big play or two.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby milo » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:39 pm

How was he getting his big gainers last year? Were they cross patterns that he just blew through the secondary, or long passes. Based on that NE game, they were basically throwing the cross to him for first downs. I'd like to see the 100 yard 2 touchdown game he is due for this week against GB.
milo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BigMusky » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:49 pm

If you guys really think his average is going to stay around 8.5 ypc then you are all retarded.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk