Ant Smith. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ant Smith.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ant Smith.

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:40 am

Boston Herald:Running back Antowain Smith has failed the Pats' conditioning run two years in row. He failed last season's run after signing a big contract extension that put $4 million in his pocket in 2002. He said afterward that conditioning has ``never been my thing.''

It was a mind-boggling admission for a person who will possess NFL earning power for only a few more years, if that. For Smith, the difference between making a seven-figure paycheck and being unemployed could be the difference of a few pounds or a few hundredths of a second of speed. Wouldn't you think he'd at least put in the work needed to keep that money coming?

Maybe he finally is. Word from Patriots camp is that Smith has had a strong offseason, dropping some weight while improving his quickness and conditioning. Quarterback Tom Brady was positive in his report of Smith during the team's passing camp two weeks ago. Media members will get their first look at Smith during the team's minicamp later this week.

It remains to be seen if Bill Belichick will sign another running back to push Smith during training camp. One name that has come up around the league is Arizona's Thomas Jones. But he, too, has work ethic questions.

Jones, the sixth overall pick in 2000, stands as the biggest bust of the 2000 running back class, which includes Jamal Lewis (No. 5 to Baltimore), Dayne, Shaun Alexander (No. 19 to Seattle) and Trung Canidate (No. 31 to St. Louis).

No wonder guys such as Rashaan Salaam, who signed with San Francisco last week, are still kicking around. And don't forget former Atlanta Falcon Jamal Anderson, who may land on the Patriots' radar screen again this summer. Anderson came to Foxboro for a tryout last fall, but - surprise, surprise - he was so out of shape the Pats had to pass.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:50 am

I go crazy when I read stuff like this, all the poeple out there who would do anything for the chance to play and some of these guys are just throwing it away. I hope they end up Homeless ! :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:05 am

hey now! this is looking good....he's getting back in shape and is getting kudos from the team. sounds to me like he has his priorities in order now, with first and foremost taking the Shiznitz to the big dance....hehehe

but you are right homey...some of these guys don't even care about the game, just the money. they get paid to play a great game, IMO, and they would rather sit on a couch and get fat and lazy. its frustrating!!!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:36 am

remember this......A.Smith will post about 1200 yds + 10 tds............guaranteed ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Antowain Smith

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:06 am

Smith is definitely one of the most solid #2 RBs. There are a few guys ahead of him due to versatility (Barber or Garner, for instance), but Smith will churn out the yards and get his share of goal line carries. With the AFC East shifting more to Run/Defense this season, Smith goes from being a late 2nd, early 3rd pick to an early to mid 2nd pick. The Pats are still going to be a passing team with Brady at the helm, but they will pretend to be a running team, and A. Smith benefits all around.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Roseman » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:55 pm

Here is hoping Smith can pull a Ricky Williams. Williams shed the pounds last off-season and got a lot fast and we all know the story after that. Maybe Smith can do the same.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Poobah » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:11 pm

remember this......A.Smith will post about 1200 yds + 10 tds............guaranteed

And what do we get if he doesn't? I was wondering if he'd get supplanted by rookie Antwoine Womack (UVA). What is my lovely parting gift if the rook never gets of the pine and Smith blows it up again in 2003?

;-7
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:15 pm

Poobah wrote:remember this......A.Smith will post about 1200 yds + 10 tds............guaranteed

And what do we get if he doesn't?
;-7

What to you get if he doesnt...............that easy Mr.Brain Surgeon how about bad advice.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Return to Football Talk