When I Was A Wee Young Lad ... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When I Was A Wee Young Lad ...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Roseman » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:40 pm

My leagues i have been in have all been online but I remember my 1st year I didnt have a personel computer at home so I would sit there and watch every damn post game show trying to find out my guys stats(and opponents) and then I would calculate them on a piece of paper it figure out if I won. It was a great way to memorize the scoreing system of your league. I can still recite the scoring system without looking so well that if we(guys in the league) are out watching a game at the local establishment I can tell them if they are winning or not!!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:41 pm

Roseman wrote:... so I would sit there and watch every damn post game show trying to find out my guys stats (and opponents) and then I would calculate them on a piece of paper to figure out if I won.

:-) Yea! Yea! LOL. I did that!
Man, there was nothing like the Sunday 10/11PM SportsCenter.
I'm convinced that fantasy football helped make ESPN what it is today.
Then, of course, about year 3 I calmed down a bit and just went to bed.
Us old guys need our rest.
Last edited by ScreamingWeasel on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:56 pm

The best part about a "real world" league was that you actually had to have a "real world" draft.
We'd always meet in someone's basement or rec room, usually on a Saturday evening, and sit around a ping pong table or something for the draft.
Take a break every so often - and hit the buffet (hot dogs, cocktail weenies and pork rinds! Yea, baby!). LOL.
It was BYOB - and only the hopelessly stupid cracked one before the 10th round.
Otherwise - that rookie out of Fresno State suddenly became "the next big thing".

Man ... I'm gettin' all misty ... *choke*
~Da Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Hawkki » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:01 pm

I’m sorry I saw this post late, but it’s a nice one, brings back great memories….
Me and my uncle joined a league and the commissioner stopped giving out info after he was eliminated from the playoffs 2 weeks before the end of the season. The funny thing is that we (uncle and I ) did such a nice job of keeping our own stats that the other players started calling us for information….
The following the year we took over ownership of the league and have never looked back, we’re hitting our 8th year not including that first year.
We worked with pencil and paper for 5 years, it was a blast….
Monday morning’s where as exciting as Sunday afternoons. I can truly say that I miss those days….. don’t mis-understand, I love the internet for things like this forum and information I would normally never find out about teams on the opposite coast, I miss the feeling of opening up the Monday paper and double checking TD’s and yardage. I guess I’m just getting OLD and cranky….
Sorry for ranting…
Hawkki
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NegauneeMiners3-peat » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:32 pm

In my league, we still draft live in the commissioners basement. After we're done we submit the rosters to Yahoo. Best day of the season. We drafted on-line one year and it just wasn't the same.
NegauneeMiners3-peat

Friendliness: %

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:39 pm

NegauneeMiners3-peat wrote:In my league, we still draft live in the commissioners basement ... best day of the season. We drafted on-line one year and it just wasn't the same.

My man!
Old school. Only school. BooYea!
And .... I assume .... you also had the official, old school mandatory required hot dogs, cocktail weenies inna crock pot and pork rinds!
Yea!
;-D
~Da Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk