aMont Jordan to Raiders???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Chopper » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 am

NY Post

GM: LAMONT'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE

By EVAN GROSSMAN
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 22, 2004 -- JET NOTES

LaMont Jordan isn't going anywhere. In response to a published report detailing an offer made by the Raiders of a third-round draft pick in exchange for the disgruntled backup running back, Jets GM Terry Bradway was adamant that Jordan is not on the block and that he'll remain with the team until the end of the season.

"LaMont Jordan is going to be a Jet for 2004," Bradway said. "There's no trade, there's never been a trade and any conversations that have taken place between us and any other team are private."

Jordan, 25, is in the final year of his contract and is expected to become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. Therefore, it would benefit the Jets to get something for him now, rather than lose him for nothing in January. Bradway did confirm that the number of teams interested in Jordan before training camp started was "more than one team and less than five," but "there's never been an offer made, on either side, for LaMont Jordan."

Through two games, Jordan has rushed once for two yards and has caught two balls for 10 yards.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 am

Terry Bradway isn't a stupid man. He'll keep his cards close to his chest. I mean what's he supposed to say?

"Yeah we're totally shopping him. Hell he's had a very poor attitude for over a season now, he's on the last year of his contract, and well..if you haven't noticed ..Curtis Martin is a mofo! We have absolutely no reason to retain him!"

No. He'll say they're not interested..they'll say they aren't shopping him.

If they dont get what they want for him, so be it. But they're not gonna give him away.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 am

I don't know who is on the Jets depth chart, but with C Mart getting the ball 68 times in the first 2 weeks the Jets had better be sure to have a capable back-up. The Raiders should look at the changes they've made in the O-line and the tough run Ds they are starting against. After this week they play the Texans and should get a much better idea of how good Wheatley is. Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Tampa can make any back in that situation look bad.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Chopper » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 am

Same story -Same quotes, different rag:NJ.com / Star-Ledger
Jets: Bradway says Jordan won't be dealt this year
Wednesday, September 22, 2004
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Saying that running back LaMont Jordan "can help us win football games this season," Jets general manager Terry Bradway said yesterday that the team has no plans to trade him.

"I've said it before and I'm not sure anybody believed me, but LaMont Jordan is going to be a Jet in 2004," said Bradway, who acknowledged that more than one team and fewer than five have expressed interest in Jordan since March.

The GM would neither confirm nor deny that the Oakland Raiders are one of those teams, and he said he didn't get a "legitimate" offer for Jordan. The trade deadline is Oct. 19.

A person with knowledge of trade talks between the Jets and Raiders, however, said Oakland did offer a third-round pick, the same pick it offered the Jets before the draft last April. The Jets turned down the deal then as well, saying they wanted a second-round pick.

Jordan, who is in the final year of his contract, becomes an unrestricted free agent after the season and has indicated he'll play elsewhere next season.

But as far as 2004 is concerned, Bradway says Jordan isn't going anywhere.

"There's no trade," Bradway said. "There's no chance. Zero."

The Jets, however, said the same thing when quarterback Quincy Carter came on the market and several weeks later he showed up at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

"If it happens, it happens," Jordan said yesterday. "If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm here for another year and I get a chance to learn from Curtis (Martin) for another year. And I just want to clear up one thing. I'm not unhappy. I think people are kind of getting confused.

"There's no bad blood between me and Terry, me and (assistant GM) Mike (Tannenbaum), me and Herm (coach Herman Edwards) or anybody. Granted, I wasn't always happy. But I still like playing for Herm. I still like putting on my Jets uniform. This is business. That's the way we left it. We're 2-0. I love playing with my teammates. We're just trying to win the Super Bowl."

Bradway said he's not going to trade Jordan because, at some point this season, he believes Jordan will help the Jets win. He said it's unlikely that Martin will carry the ball 30 times a game, as he has in the first two games, for the entire season and the Jets need a quality backup like Jordan.

Admitting that Jordan's poor attitude had affected his play early in training camp, Bradway said the player has been a model citizen in recent weeks.

"His attitude has been great the past three weeks," Bradway said. "He asked to go back and return kickoffs last week. He had a great week of practice last week. I think he's committed himself to being the best player he can be. From LaMont's standpoint, everything is positive. He knows what he has to do to help us win and also help himself."
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 am

Warpigs wrote:
smackthefirst wrote:Trust me guys dont go grabbing Jordan. This is not going to happen. The Jets will not part with him for anything less than a 2nd rounder adn there's no way any team would pay that for Jordan right now.

As a frustrated Deuce McAllister owner with few other options... Hell, I'd consider picking up Pee Wee Herman if I heard he may be picked up by someone where he could be a starting RB. :-o ;-D For a bottom of the lineup free agent pickup, it wouldn't hurt many teams to pick him up and then wait and see -- if he doesn't pan out, you can always drop him for someone else later.

Agreed. And it certainly would be a good move for Curtis Martin owners, too... Right now Martin is coasting, but his next 7 games are the toughest for any RB in the NFL, and I could see him going down if they continue to try to work him like they are doing so far... If you have the space, it couldn't hurt to hope...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cwhitty » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:01 am

I just picked him up. I had Justin Fargas hoping he would eventually play but all this talk shows that the Raiders are not happy with any of their backs.
cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk