Repo cars are bargains !!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Repo cars are bargains !!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Repo cars are bargains !!!

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:08 pm

PASADENA, Calif. - A car purchased at a U.S. marshal's auction four years ago had a hidden surprise for its new owner: 119 pounds of marijuana hidden in the bumpers.

The buyer, Jose Aguado Cervantes, didn't know about the hidden stash until he was stopped at the U.S.-Mexican border three months later. Cervantes, 67, spent three months in jail as a result.

Cervantes is seeking damages for the government's error, alleging negligence, false imprisonment and false arrest. While an appeals court in Pasadena said Monday that he cannot recover damages for false arrest and imprisonment, his negligence claim against the federal government "is an entirely different matter."

The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals said the government's argument against Cervantes' negligence claim is "patently without merit" and "so off-the-mark as to be embarrassing."

"Cervantes remained similarly unaware of the contraband until its discovery by U.S. customs agents as he tried to cross the U.S. border on Oct. 22, 1999," the appeals court said. "Although Cervantes denied knowledge of the marijuana and informed agents that he had purchased the vehicle at a U.S. marshal's auction, he was arrested and incarcerated."

Government officials eventually dropped the charges, but not before Cervantes spent time in jail awaiting trial.

Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DUKE » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:00 pm

I heard a similar story in the past of some dude finding a bunch of weed in the door panel of his car. Apparently he took in to be serviced because the window wouldn't roll up or down smoothly and when they took the panel off they found (i forget exact amt) a bunch of it .

Man I'm gonna have to start checking my used automobile purchases just in case there's a hidden stash so that I can...........um........turn it in to the authorities.
Last edited by DUKE on Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:46 pm

DUKE wrote:Man I'm gonna have to start checking my used automobile purchases just in case there's a hidden stash so that I can...........um........turn it in to the authorities.

ahem....you can turn that over to me, and I'll make sure the proper "authorities" get it! :-D
Last edited by Dazedncnfz on Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:52 pm

good lord!!! thats a lotta smoke!!!
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby DUKE » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:26 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:
DUKE wrote:Man I'm gonna have to start checking my used automobile purchases just in case there's a hidden stash so that I can...........um........turn it in to the authorities.

ahem....you can turn that over to me, and I'll make sure the proper "authorities" get it! :-D

lol! I'll match you.
Last edited by DUKE on Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:21 pm

Sorry Arlo, wouldn't want to be part of corrupting Americas youth :-)
Last edited by DieHardCubbie on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieHardCubbie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:23 pm

Um, guys? While I agree that this is a bizarre story, it's probably best to tone it down a notch as far as this subject is concerned (or at least the pics), if only out of consideration for young 'uns like terp... :-D

Thanks! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:38 pm

Arlo wrote:Um, guys? While I agree that this is a bizarre story, it's probably best to tone it down a notch as far as this subject is concerned (or at least the pics), if only out of consideration for young 'uns like terp... :-D

Thanks! ;-D

LOL....busted!!! :-B
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby terpfan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:16 pm

ahhh my eyes! 8-o

:-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:17 pm

hehe, started off an innocent news post and you guys corrupted it into a frat house party.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to General Talk