PFW's thoughts on T.O. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

PFW's thoughts on T.O.

Moderator: Football Moderators

PFW's thoughts on T.O.

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:55 pm

ProFootballWeekly.com asks executive editor Dan Arkush for his thoughts on the hottest topics around the NFL:

Owens misses third minicamp

Despite the fact that 49ers officials met with his agent last week to discuss the parameters for a new contract, WR Terrell Owens has decided to steer clear of his third straight minicamp. Owens, who is eligible for free agency at the end of the 2003 season, is the lone veteran missing from camp. Owens attended the Niners’ only mandatory minicamp May 2-4 but missed the second one later in the month because of a movie he was filming in New Orleans. Since his acting gig, the reasons for his absences have been vague. While head coach Dennis Erickson has said he would have preferred that Owens participate in the minicamp, at the very least, for leadership purposes, team officials insist that they aren’t concerned about Owens’ recent absences.

PFW: Is Owens posturing for a new contract?

Arkush: As is always the case with the enigmatic Owens, only he knows for sure. When asked by the Bay Area media for his take on Owens’ absence from the Niners’ latest mini, teammate Jeff Garcia was right on the money when he said, “T.O is T.O. He is his own guy and his own beast. He makes decisions based upon what he feels. That’s how we’ve learned to accept his role. As much as we would love to have him competing with us, we also know that he’s battling injuries and trying to get healthy.”

Based on conversations I have had with Owens’ agent, David Joseph, I’m guessing T.O.’s absence is more health-related than anything. Joseph made it clear to me that his client’s injuries last season really took a toll, and I think Owens is approaching this very important season for him with the utmost caution.

PFW: What about the Niners saying they aren’t really worried about his absence?

Arkush: That’s bull. When the lone veteran missing from the latest minicamp is your star performer, who just so happens to be in line for a new contract that is expected by most onlookers to make him the highest-paid receiver in the league, the implication that contract talks could be a problem couldn’t be clearer. The Niners are saying they have no problem taking their time with the Owens deal, and that life will go on smoothly even if he doesn’t sign a new deal right away. But with the leaguewide perception persisting that owner John York could rival Jack Benny in the tight-wallet department, and that he is reluctant to spend a king’s ransom on any player, no matter how good he might be, the team’s stance definitely seems open to question. That said, there’s a school of thought that the Niners would be wise to let the star wide receiver escape via free agency, since it would open the coffers for the host of key players who are also eligible for free agency at the end of next season, including LB Julian Peterson, CB Jason Webster and WR Tai Streets among others. On the other hand, those same players could be more turned off to sticking around in the York regime if the Owens’ contract talks become contentious.

PFW: What would you do?

Arkush: I would try to re-sign Owens with a sense of urgency that would send a statement to all those skeptics who are wondering about York, who in many ways is just as enigmatic as Owens. It’s going to take a $20 million signing bonus, minimum, but it behooves the Niners to get their top player locked in now with a creative deal that spreads out the cap costs in a way the Niners could handle. I think Owens can be a real flake, but I also think he’s worthy of being the league’s highest-paid receiver.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:24 pm

That said, there’s a school of thought that the Niners would be wise to let the star wide receiver escape via free agency, since it would open the coffers for the host of key players who are also eligible for free agency at the end of next season, including LB Julian Peterson, CB Jason Webster and WR Tai Streets among others

There's no chance this will happen. Owens is every bit as valuable to the 49ers as Manning is to the Colts. He also has the most undeserved bad rap of any player in the NFL.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:39 pm

9er Fan wrote:Owens is every bit as valuable to the 49ers as Manning is to the Colts. He also has the most undeserved bad rap of any player in the NFL.

I agree ;-D

They cant let him go or mess around with him, he is that big.
Last edited by Homeless on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby joe_montana » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:41 pm

They better sign him, and sign him quick. Owens is one of the few people in the league talented enough to carry a team by himself. Luckily, he doesn't have to do that in SF, but he is too good to have this go on any longer. I agree that he has the most undeserved bad rap of anyone. I think he put it best when he said, and I am paraphrasing here, "people in the league are beating their wives, taking drugs, and I get a bad rap for a SHARPIE?"
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:47 am

joe_montana wrote:They better sign him, and sign him quick. Owens is one of the few people in the league talented enough to carry a team by himself. Luckily, he doesn't have to do that in SF, but he is too good to have this go on any longer. I agree that he has the most undeserved bad rap of anyone. I think he put it best when he said, and I am paraphrasing here, "people in the league are beating their wives, taking drugs, and I get a bad rap for a SHARPIE?"

Nicely put. I would have to say the Niners will sign Owens and quickly too. I mean come on now, you just don't let a player like Owens go to FA....The Niners are full of BS if they are even thinking that. He will be resigned, he will get a big fat bonus, thats just the way it works.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk