Trung Canidate? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trung Canidate?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trung Canidate?

Postby NegauneeMiners3-peat » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:01 pm

I play in a eight team league with 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, and 11 man individual defense. I'm high on Canidate this year, especially because we get a point per reception, but most sources I've looked at aren't so optomistic. What is the highest you would draft him?
NegauneeMiners3-peat

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Roseman » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:41 pm

Depending on your league size I think I would grab him as a third RB because he has a lot of potenial but you cant be sure of his preformance he is a bit of a gamble. Here is a an articule that I just read from ESPN in his potential:

Fantasy Focus
Trung Canidate is the favorite to be the featured runner over Ladell Betts, Kenny Watson and Chad Morton because of his breakaway speed. Coach Steve Spurrier's spread offense will allow Canidate to turn screens and draws into long gains. Aside from once recording a 4.25 in the 40-yard dash, Canidate has proven to be an explosive all-around player on the field. In the 2001 season, Canidate started in Marshall Faulk's absence and ran 23 times for 195 yards in Week 6 and had 10 catches for 107 yards in Week 7. Although the fourth-year back has encountered injuries and fumbling troubles, he won't have Marshall Faulk looming over him. Just like Priest Holmes (Jamal Lewis), Shaun Alexander (Ricky Watters) and Deuce McAllister (Ricky Williams) escaped the shadow of big-name backs, Canidate is primed to do the same.
-- Roger Rotter, ESPN.com fantasy editor

Sounds like there is a lot of potenial there
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:44 pm

Well as Rosey says, use him as a 3rd back, but even then I wouldnt want him, not becuase of him, but because Spurrier is so down on the running game. Maybe that will change this year though.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:09 pm

I agree with the 3rd back comments. He has potential, but for some reason, I see him as this year's Pittman (remember how everyone talked him up going into last season).
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:14 pm

Trung Candidate + Spurrier = Stephen Davis last year.
Good back with lots of potential.
It's like being Chris Chambers in Miami.

3rd to 4th on my team. No higher.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby NegauneeMiners3-peat » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:21 pm

Do think that in Spurrier's system a speed back who can catch well out of the backfield can make big plays as a change up? A spread offense theoretically spreads out the defense giving more space after breaking the line of scrimmage. Fred Taylor workerd this way in college. Davis, more of a power back, put up 820 yards and 7 TDs in 12 games last year. Not great numbers, but he wasn't the prototype kind of back for the spread. Canidate may be that guy.
NegauneeMiners3-peat

Friendliness: %

Postby Poobah » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:32 am

I can see him starting as a #2 back in some leagues in the cafe, but those will be 10 and 12-team leagues. In a 8-team league like yours? Unless there's a huge University of Florida RedJets fan, er, Redskins fan in your league, use him as a sleeper. With judicious drafting you could have two top-10 RB as your starters, and Canidate is at best a #3. Hey, if he blows up and you can plug him into your starting lineup, don't you look smart? :-]
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby DUKE » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:50 am

I wouldn't want to draft him too high. Maybe #3 as mentioned before, but he could thrive in that system. Spurrier could try and utilize his rb a little more this season, after obviously neglecting the position last year. Another one of those RB's w/ ????????'s.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Return to Football Talk