Salary Cap Leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Salary Cap Leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Salary Cap Leagues

Postby Lepke » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have been commish of a FFL for for three years now, and we want to spice it up a bit. We're planning on implementing a Salary Cap to our league, and I was wondering if you all would share your experiences with me. Any suggestions, tips, what you've found to work (or not work).. Anything would be great.

Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:56 am

Player salaries do add an interesting twist. Auction drafts can be very intense, and finessing the cap adds a whole new layer of strategy (not to mention very painful decisions when it's time to decide on keepers... :-) ).

One possible downside is that auction drafts take a long, long time. They're lots of fun (think of a regular draft, but three times as long and with a whole lot of mind games), but if you're already having trouble scheduling your drafts, you'll have problems.

Also, you'll see trades such as Ricky Williams @ $37 for Troy Hambrick @ $8. If you're already spending lots of time bickering about trades and vetos, salaries usually only add to those difficulties...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:12 am

Arlo wrote:... One possible downside is that auction drafts take a long, long time ... three times as long and with a whole lot of mind games ... if you're already having trouble scheduling your drafts, you'll have problems.

... If you're already spending lots of time bickering about trades and vetos, salaries usually only add to those difficulties...

Yep.
IMO - making a fantasy football league a salary league
is like putting socks on a rooster.

There are 2 types of fantasy players.
Baseball guys and football guys.

Baseball guys were that kid down the street that memorized the back of every baseball card they owned, and grew up to be CPAs.
They want to analyze everything.

Football guys were that kid down the street that was generally in trouble, and grew up to be, say, mechanics.
They just want to have fun.

So, you have to ask yourself.
Am I a baseball guy, or a football guy?

My 2 cents, anyway.
~SW
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:19 am

And then there are those of us who suffer from some odd split-personality syndrome and like both... ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:33 am

We use a salary cap.

It is our first year and we chose ESPN's fantasy cap values for no reason in particular except for the fact that it's ESPN. If the idea of the cap is to keep one or two teams from establishing such an overwhelming team so that it's just not competitive, there are some things to look out for.

1. Can you trade players for picks?
We allowed that, but might address it next year. Problem is, it is a way to defeat the purpose of the cap. We have one guy whose team was so stacked that he has traded into a position that he has 7 picks in the first 4 rounds and is still fighting cap.

2. First round restrictions.
We have a 40m cap. Well, if I have the first pick in the first round, then I wouldn't have to protect my #1 back. I could just pick him, thus defeating the cap. Really, the first couple guys to pick have a 48.5m cap. To correct this, we ruled that you can't pick a player off your origional team with your first round pick.

Hope this helps. We're still learning.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Homeless » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:57 am

Arlo wrote:Player salaries do add an interesting twist. Auction drafts can be very intense, and finessing the cap adds a whole new layer of strategy (not to mention very painful decisions when it's time to decide on keepers... :-) ).

One possible downside is that auction drafts take a long, long time. They're lots of fun (think of a regular draft, but three times as long and with a whole lot of mind games), but if you're already having trouble scheduling your drafts, you'll have problems.

Also, you'll see trades such as Ricky Williams @ $37 for Troy Hambrick @ $8. If you're already spending lots of time bickering about trades and vetos, salaries usually only add to those difficulties...

Arlo wrote:finessing the cap

:-o

Holy cow that sounds like Boob draft talk to me.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Salary Cap/Auction

Postby Acme Rocket » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:38 pm

I am in 4 live leagues. Mine is the only Auction/Salary cap league and is the concensus favorite. We run a very organized auction and to be honest, it no longer takes any longer than a regular league to draft. I won't bore all of you with the rules and details here. But if you would like to check it out ...

http://www.statsweekly.com/lscfl

Go to the "Reports" menu and Choose "League Rules".

The auction is great because EVERYONE has a chance to get the player they want ... you just have to be willing to pay it.
Acme Rocket
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: Salary Cap/Auction

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:33 pm

Acme Rocket wrote:I am in 4 live leagues. Mine is the only Auction/Salary cap league and is the concensus favorite. We run a very organized auction and to be honest, it no longer takes any longer than a regular league to draft. I won't bore all of you with the rules and details here. But if you would like to check it out ...

http://www.statsweekly.com/lscfl

Go to the "Reports" menu and Choose "League Rules".

The auction is great because EVERYONE has a chance to get the player they want ... you just have to be willing to pay it.

Baseball guy. Definitely.
:-)
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

auction league...our rules

Postby springfield atoms » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:04 pm

this is my first post on the board, forgive me if neticut is incorrect....

our league is a 12 team keeper league. we start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 k on offense and 2 dl, 2 lb, 2db on defense.

we are an auction based league. we have 30 players on our roster for $30. the minimum contract is .25 and all player bids are in increments of .25

you keep players that you draft on your roster for three years at whatever you get them for in the auction. after that, if you want to keep them, you pay them at the franchise rate (average of the top 12 salaries - 6 at qb, k, te - at each position).

the $30 salary cap is ONLY in effect from cut down day (one week before the draft) until the end of the auction draft.

we also have a rookie draft with player prices set at a percentage of the franchise rate for their position....ie, the first player picked is 100%, second 95%, etc.

what has made this league great, in my estimation is that we have created a real team and franchise concept. we have to have fantasy team locations and mascots...this has given us clubs like the death star stormtroopers, springfield atoms, jurassic park raptors, arkham starspawn, gotham dark knights and highland immortals.
springfield atoms

Friendliness: %

Postby Super Fan Don » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:11 pm

I've been in my share of auction leagues and I can tell you that in the 1st year the draft will take forever. Also many verbal fights take place on draft day as to who said what price, in what order, ect. It can be more of a challenge, but more of a headache at the same time. Auction leagues also work better in fantasy baseball then football.

P.S. I am a baseball and football guy
Super Fan Don
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk