T.O. Shows Up... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

T.O. Shows Up...

Moderator: Football Moderators

T.O. Shows Up...

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:56 am

...for ESPN interview.

SANTA CLARA -- Wide receiver Terrell Owens remained a no-show Tuesday at the 49ers' final spring minicamp, but he did appear on ESPN's "Rome Is Burning" and said in an interview taped last month that he is "underpaid" and will play next year for any other team if the 49ers don't award him a contract extension.

Asked by the show's host, Jim Rome, if he would stay with the 49ers after his contract voids next spring, Owens replied: "I want to be there if they want me to be there. I'll go and play for any team. I'll take my passion. And I'll take my Sharpie. My antics. Whatever I can. I'll take them to all 31, 32 teams and I'll play my heart out."

Owens hasn't attended the 49ers' two voluntary minicamps or voluntary passing camp held the past month. He did participate in a mandatory minicamp May 2-4, but was limited by a lingering groin injury.

Owens, who's slated to earn a base salary of $4.2 million this season, told Rome he wants more money. "Compared to baseball, basketball, I don't make enough money," Owens said.

Rome replied: "But compared to the average guy buying a ticket?"

"We're not talking about the average guy," Owens said. "Everybody can't play football."

Said Rome: "You're not going to run out of money, are you?"

"Nah, I'm not going to run out of money, but I still feel like I'm getting underpaid."

General manager Terry Donahue, who's downplayed Owens' absences, said Monday that the team met last week with Owens' agent, David Joseph, regarding a possible contract extension.

Owens' six-minute interview with Rome was filmed in Los Angeles after the May 2-4 minicamp, and it was not set up through the 49ers public relations department, according to a team spokesman.

QB envy

While Owens and quarterback Jeff Garcia have each gone to the Pro Bowl the last three years, Rome asked Owens if he ever thought of playing with another quarterback. "Oh definitely, all the time," Owens replied. "I can envision myself playing with Payton Manning or Donovan McNabb. Those are strong-armed quarterbacks that get the ball down the field. But Jeff, he's a different type of quarterback. Jeff's going to make things happen on the run. The thing is, we kind of feed off each other. He knows once I get my hands on the ball, that's when the show begins. ... It doesn't matter who I play with. My thing is get me the ball and I'll make things happen. And I pride myself in that."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:01 am

Well even though I'm a hugh fan of the Niners, When someone says that 4.2 M is not enough money and that they are underpaid. They need their head examined!...Come on now, ya he is that good, #1 or #2 at his position, but please don't complain about 4.2M a year. He knows he'll get a new contract, hes just being a hard arse.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nero » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:10 am

just another example of him needing attention
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:14 am

Nero wrote:just another example of him needing attention

Ya think he'll ink a new contract with......

........a sharpie???
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Homeless » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:01 pm

I just caught the end of the interview, shame because I wanted to see if he made a fool of himself. Like we said in another thread, no way can the 49ers let him go.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to Football Talk