Another QB Controversy?!? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another QB Controversy?!?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another QB Controversy?!?

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:55 pm

IRVING, Texas -- Although Bill Parcells won't say he's comfortable with the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback situation, he insisted Monday that returnees Chad Hutchinson or Quincy Carter will be the starter this fall.

That excludes Brian Griese or anybody else from outside the organization.

"We are going to go the way we are. If there was somebody we were interested in, I'd tell you," Parcells said. "Right now, we'll go with who we've got."

Griese became available Monday when he was cut by Denver after four seasons as the starter there. The Broncos signed free agent Jake Plummer to a seven-year deal in March.

There has been speculation since Parcells became the Cowboys' coach in January that he might look for a veteran quarterback, much like he did when he acquired Vinny Testaverde while with the New York Jets.

Griese's agent, Ralph Cindrich, has said the quarterback could end up in Dallas or in Miami, where he grew up while his father, Hall of Famer Bob Griese, played there.

"I'm not going to be involved with Brian Griese," Parcells said.

Hutchinson and Carter were among 32 veterans at Valley Ranch on Monday when the Cowboys started their final minicamp before training camp begins in late July in San Antonio. There were also 18 rookies for the first of seven practices over six days.

While getting another opportunity to work with the rookies, Parcells is also trying to get a better idea about his young quarterbacks.

"I have to be equitable with these guys and give them an equal chance," Parcells said. "I don't think you can just say this guy is a starter. We are going to let them fight it out at camp, and figure it out as soon as possible."

Hutchinson started the final nine games last season. As a 25-year-old rookie, who hadn't played football in four years while pursing a career as a professional baseball pitcher, he completed 127 of 250 passes for 1,553 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions, and was sacked 34 times.

"The approach I've taken from day one is no matter who they bring in or what the situation is for me, I've got to handle my business the best I can," Hutchinson said. "This year, I feel a lot more comfortable, a lot more confident."

Carter, hampered by injuries as a rookie in 2001 when he was the starter, is 6-9 in his 15 career starts. Last season, he was 125-of-221 passing for 1,465 yards with seven TDs and eight interceptions, and didn't play after Hutchinson took over.

Carter likes the idea of having a fresh start, and knowing that this year's training camp will be a real quarterback competition.

"Last preseason, I was only getting 50 percent of the reps, and this preseason I'm getting 50 percent of the reps again," Carter said. "It was an undercover quarterback competition last year, and now it's all out in the open."

Parcells has watched tape of both guys, players, said the only true evaluation he will be able to get is by watching them play.

"You can look at a tape, but you don't really ever know what that guy has been asked to do, so it's hard to pass judgment," he said. "I'd rather just wipe the slate clean and turn it over to what I see."
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DUKE » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:59 pm

sounds like another 2 headed monster. I don't get why they're not entertaining Griese for the Qb position. Out of the 2 they have, I'd give the nod to Hutchinson.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:06 pm

Well, this is the same guy that started Glenn Foley with the Jets...
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:07 pm

Billy dont like griese hehe

Im surprised that bill is happy to stay with the two qb choice he has. Maybe he can bring out the player in one of them.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:35 pm

Homeless wrote:Billy dont like griese hehe

Im surprised that bill is happy to stay with the two qb choice he has. Maybe he can bring out the player in one of them.

Bill says (and mostly does) bring our the better player in people..but lets not forget that he hated Terry Glenn, yet Glennis on the teamnow because of him. I don't think its a matter of him not likeing Griese, but that he thinks he has something in these 2 QBs he has now...trust me, if nither one of these guys works out, bill will get himself a QB and fix the problem....thats what he does, and your team has 3-4 years to win it all for him....lets see what "The Tuna" does with this team as it is now.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Endzone Express » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:42 am

Keep an eye out for "Vinny"! 8-o

I've heard a rumor come out of Big-D!
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Slingblade » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:45 am

i see carter getting the nod
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Super Fan Don » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:06 am

between those two my money is on Carter to start, but I think that they need to look else where to fill that spot. Greise is better then those two.
Super Fan Don
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NegauneeMiners3-peat » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:44 pm

I have a question for everyone. Why is everyone so convinced that the Cowboys need a new QB and at the same time say that Detroit and Houston don't need to because they drafted a QB for the future last year. Hutchinson was the equivilent to a first rounder- the hit against the rookie cap reflected that- and Hutchinson had a better QB rating than either Carr or Harrington. Now, I'm not trying to induct the guy into the Hall of Fame, but let's give Hutchinson the same benefit of the doubt, or at least the same opportunity to prove himself as the other "future QB's" from last year's rookie class.
NegauneeMiners3-peat

Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:00 pm

If I where in Bill shoes Id pass on Griese, the man is injury prone plus Ive heard rumors that he was very much disliked by his bronco's teammates. Poison in the locker room is a formula for disaster.
I believe that Hutchinson has the ability and opportunity to develop into a very good qb.

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Football Talk