Importance of Defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Importance of Defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:24 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:What I meant by luck is that a lot of determining which team will be the high scorer on a given week is based on luck... We can narrow it down to several most likely options, like this week:

Miami, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Atlanta, Oakland, Tennessee

But who's to say that Sean Taylor doesn't end up with 2 picks returned for TD's on Monday Night Football, and all of a sudden Washington was the stud play of the week? I mean, with other positions, we can be reasonably certain that James Thrash is not going to outscore Keyshawn Johnson in that game (although stranger things have happened), but there is really no telling which D will end up scoring higher and by how much... It could really go either way, and the same could be said of ANY other NFL game... When it comes to a position that is that heavily dependent on turnover scoring, it really does come down to how the ball bounces sometimes...

The only really true indicator that we can go off of is a comparison of offensive lines and defensive lines to help determine sacks and overall points scored... IMO, defensive matchups are as much a matter of picking the best line matchups as anything else...

I agree - there is absolutely a measure of luck involved - no one can honestly deny that. I also like that the theory about narrowing down the best options each week - so true - its all an educated guess.
However, Im not so sure its based so much on OLines - but more likely a number of different factors such as injuries, styles of offense and defense, and of course the skills of the players, not to mention the strength of the lines too. There are lots of factors to consider when looking into the weekly defensive matchups.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tree_Sloths » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:26 pm

Yeah, I'd give up Wheatley too. But my backs are Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, Westbrook, Thomas Jones and Foster. I feel sorry for anyone with Wheatley on their roster.
Tree_Sloths
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:What I meant by luck is that a lot of determining which team will be the high scorer on a given week is based on luck... We can narrow it down to several most likely options, like this week:

Miami, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Atlanta, Oakland, Tennessee

But who's to say that Sean Taylor doesn't end up with 2 picks returned for TD's on Monday Night Football, and all of a sudden Washington was the stud play of the week? I mean, with other positions, we can be reasonably certain that James Thrash is not going to outscore Keyshawn Johnson in that game (although stranger things have happened), but there is really no telling which D will end up scoring higher and by how much... It could really go either way, and the same could be said of ANY other NFL game... When it comes to a position that is that heavily dependent on turnover scoring, it really does come down to how the ball bounces sometimes...

The only really true indicator that we can go off of is a comparison of offensive lines and defensive lines to help determine sacks and overall points scored... IMO, defensive matchups are as much a matter of picking the best line matchups as anything else...

I agree - there is absolutely a measure of luck involved - no one can honestly deny that. I also like that the theory about narrowing down the best options each week - so true - its all an educated guess.
However, Im not so sure its based so much on OLines - but more likely a number of different factors such as injuries, styles of offense and defense, and of course the skills of the players, not to mention the strength of the lines too. There are lots of factors to consider when looking into the weekly defensive matchups.

As cliche as it sounds, everything depends on line play, though... Give me a defense with a great D-line against an offense with a horrible O-line over Denver w/ Champ Bailey against one of the better O-lines in football any day of the week...

That's why Miami is so awful this year, and why any defense that they face all year long will be a good play...

Pressure leads to all of the things that score points for defenses: Sacks, Interceptions, Fumbles, Blocked Kicks, Safeties, Low Scoring games, etc... They all center around good line play, getting pressure on the QB, and stuffing the run...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WideoutProspector » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:38 pm

Would you trade a #2 or #3 receiver for a top D?
Say Ravens for Reggin Wayne?
WideoutProspector
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:40 pm

WideoutProspector wrote:Would you trade a #2 or #3 receiver for a top D?
Say Ravens for Reggin Wayne?

depends on my situation, but yes, more than likely I would trade Wayne for BAL.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tree_Sloths » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:47 pm

In my league, we only have to play 1 receiver. We have 3 flex, so i play 4 RB. Since my 2nd receiver is only there for Moss's bye week, or in case he gets hurt, I would consider trading him away. But if I were in a league that required 2 starting receivers, I'd hang onto my #2 guy.
Tree_Sloths
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:54 pm

I had the NE defense last year and they scored quite a few points pretty regularly. It was a good thing to have to count on and I was rarely disappointed by them.

Now Troy Hambrick OTOH...
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk