PLEASE Help me plead my case with the commish... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

PLEASE Help me plead my case with the commish...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:05 pm

You can't veto an old trade. Period. If your commissioner does veto a past trade...walk away from the league.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MMH » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:14 pm

Umm wouldnt vetoing a past trade done weeks ago screw up all the scoring etc?

Its not viable to do such a thing.
MMH
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby big shot » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:09 pm

even if you traded plax for chris brown today, it still would not be vetoable. 2 games does not tell how a season will go. im expecting big thing from plax this year. your commish has no clue.
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:17 pm

Yea your power hungry commish is obviously a jerk. Im just curious how he could undo a 3 week old trade. And Stecker for Brooks doesnt seem off the wall to me. if brooks is the guys second string Qb and he has duece and little else in his backfield then its reasonable.

Im always tempted to bash the evil commishes in these cases but I get the feeling you new this guy was a ducebag before you joined.

I think a great way to fix the prob would be to show the league this page.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Opinion Ape » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:54 pm

From the outside, this is one of the funniest decisions I've ever heard. Why not redraft today, since we have different knowledge now? -- no fair, I didn't know Trent Green was gonna suck! Bwahahaha. From the inside, I would either leave the league or stage a coup -- get a new commish in there.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:23 pm

OK, first of all this concept of retroactively vetoing a preseason trade because it worked out strongly in favor of one guy is ridiculous... That's what FF is all about -- predicting the performance of a given player during a given week or season... If you correctly predicted that a completely unproven RB was going to end up being better than a formerly all-pro WR, you should be complimented for that, not punished... Ask him this:

"<insert sarcastic tone> OK, so if you switch the trade back around and next week Roethlisberger decides Plax is his favorite WR, and he goes on to put up Randy Moss type numbers, do I get the trade reinstated?"

Now, with regards to the Aaron Brooks affair, I can see many situations where that is a perfectly fair trade... Case in Point:

Team A has:

Manning, Brooks, Carr
Deuce, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Tyrone Wheatley

Team B has:

Leftwich, Palmer
Ahman, Dom Davis, Thomas Jones, Griffin, Stecker

IN that situation, it would be totally fair and in both team's interests to trade Stecker for Brooks, considering Martin's bye this week....

You can't look at trades in a bubble... The situation is everything...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:05 pm

absurd

the point of a trade a lot of times is not to have a "win win" situation for both. The point is to have a "win" for you, and the other guy THINKING he has a win.

Or you trade according to needs. Your trade is the former, the second is the latter.

I don't see what is SO wrong with the latter. Itis a sweetheart deal, but come on now.

shoudl the league go retroactively reassign players at the end because the number one draft pick of the league didn't score the most points?

sorry, but that ain't how it works.

I'd rather have no veto than the ad hoc method this drumstick is using.

if he does that, he may as well retroactively veto any trades where the player subsequently got hurt.

You can't predict injury any more than ineffectiveness in this case.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TTTBone » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:56 pm

Well this IS good news!
I thought one of my drafts went down "a little funny", and there's a current questionable trade in this league. Perhaps now we can veto this trade and then go back and redraft.
Yeah... that'd be great... :-b
Completely ridiculous! I'd be soooo tempted to drop out of the league right now. I won't call your commish an idiot, but I will say that he is rather ignorant, and hasn't a clue regarding FF etiquette.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:58 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:You can't veto an old trade. Period. If your commissioner does veto a past trade...walk away from the league.

3 years ago I traded Moulds for Ahamn Green. Should it be vetoed due to the respective points each has put up over the last 3 years. It is now an unfair trade, in hindsight. Someone mentioned that one of the biggest parts of FF is putting your knowledge into prediciting who is going to perform. You did this and shouldn't be punished for it.

My suggestion. Play it cool. Let the 2 owners invovled inthe current trade battle it out. If your commish tells you that he is vetoing (sp?) your prior trade. Quit on the spot. Then come here and tell us the name of the league and his name just so we can avoid it.

A retroactive veto is garbage to sum things up.

Good luck.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:47 am

The concept of a retroactive veto is flawed.

By its very definition, a veto PREVENTS legislation/trade/etc. from occuring. It can't be used to OVERTURN legislation/trades/etc. that have already occurred.

Check your league rules to find if there's an allowance for overturning deals and wiping out stats after the fact. I've never seen such a thing in 16 years of playing three fantasy sports in multiple types of leagues.

If you do find such a clause, bummer for you.

If you don't, your commish is a buffoon. Retroactively collect your entry fee and depart.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk