Is Roy Williams just a pretender? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Roy Williams just a pretender?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mad benjamin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:56 pm

I think Roy will be the real deal (note the future tense). But let's put into perspective that he is still a rookie and is likely being single-covered for right now. I think he will have a much more successful career than incumbent Charlie Rogers, who can't seem to stay healthy (I always thought Rogers looked to frail and wiry; not good when you play in the NFL).

Will he be another Boldin this year? No. He won't catch 100 balls, but he could top 70 and a handful or so of TDs.

He has all the tools to be a successful stud in this league, but give him time.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:04 pm

from what i've seen, he looks real good. but some guys have a hard time stepping up into the #1 wr slot(driver,porter,price). i think now that he's had a few weeks and people have taken notice, we will see if he can handle being the guy in detroit. but my guess is that he can.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby BMadd » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:10 pm

This year's A. Boldin with a few more TDs
BMADD
BMadd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:02 am

Roy should be a top 10 wideout this year. It boggled my mind that awful Detriot would draft another wideout in the top ten when they have holes everywhere else. I hated the pick at the time, trade down or get some D help, not another wideout. But now i love it. I think detriot must have had him ranked 1 or 2 on thier board to take another reciver. Wait what were we talking about?
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:44 am

ROY is the man - but you guys are all over the charts for where to value him.

First of all - he will not come close to Boldins yardage numbers. That was a fluke season caused by a number of factors converging at the same time to produce a result that simply wont happen again for some time.

I rate him as an avg to above avg #3 fantasy WR for this yr. He may outproduce that, but he also has a small tendency to disapear occasionally. That might be behind him now, but just temper your enthusiasm a bit. I also rate him below AJohnson by a bit - AJohnson is a good #2, while ROY is a good #3.

The Miner Part 2 - who would you have suggested the Lions take? KW2? Go back and look at the draft and see what options were available to us. Arguably the Lions can use some defensive line help. We just revamped our secondary in the offseason through free agency, so we dont need a DB. We need another good LB, but there really werent that many that were rated very high coming out of college (dont forget - we used a 1st rd pick on Boss Bailey in 2003). The Lions OLine was also upgraded in the offseason already as well, so there was really no need to target that either. I guess my point is the Lions 2004 draft was nearly flawless, not only adressing needs, but also in the value that we got at basically every pick. If not for ROY - who did you think the Lions were going to target?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:02 am

Roy will be a very good receiver but he will not keep up this pace and I even expect for him to disappear by the end of the season.

His first year in college he burned it up, then he lost interest and took a step backwards his next year.

In 2002 he took it up a notch and he may have been the #1 overall pick if he had come out that year. But for some reason he stayed in school and all of his numbers dropped last year. I don't know if he lost interest again or what but this guy has a tough time staying consistent. He will start off hot then cool off.

He will be a very good receiver but I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a good time to sell high on Roy.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dub-Dub » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:37 am

Many suggested that Roy Williams would have gone ahead of Charlie Rogers or Andre Johnson the year before if he came out...

Boldin's numbers were off the charts... 100 catches is rare. He won't get that, but he could match both yrds, and TDs... he's a BIG physical WR... I'd be happy with him as a #2
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Turnip » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:15 am

He has undeniable talent. Whether that would translate to the pro-level was questionable, which made him sort of a boom-or-bust pick. Right now I'd say he's doing just fine, wouldn't you?
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:15 am

mad benjamin wrote:I think Roy will be the real deal (note the future tense). But let's put into perspective that he is still a rookie and is likely being single-covered for right now. I think he will have a much more successful career than incumbent Charlie Rogers, who can't seem to stay healthy (I always thought Rogers looked to frail and wiry; not good when you play in the NFL).

Will he be another Boldin this year? No. He won't catch 100 balls, but he could top 70 and a handful or so of TDs.

Wow. That's a bad take. 1st of all, he's already had a more successful year than Rogers (out for the season) is gonna have. 2nd, he was the #1 receiver in Detroit last week, and he had a great week. (Detroit doesn't have any other receivers worth mentioning so yes--he faced some double coverage last week). 3rd, based on his skills and the quality of the Detroit offense (mediocre) vs. Arizona last year (pathetic) there's no reason to believe that he can't have as good OR BETTER of a year than Boldin.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Paladyr » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:43 am

mtarail wrote:
mad benjamin wrote:I think Roy will be the real deal (note the future tense). But let's put into perspective that he is still a rookie and is likely being single-covered for right now. I think he will have a much more successful career than incumbent Charlie Rogers, who can't seem to stay healthy (I always thought Rogers looked to frail and wiry; not good when you play in the NFL).

Wow. That's a bad take. 1st of all, he's already had a more successful year than Rogers (out for the season) is gonna have. 2nd, he was the #1 receiver in Detroit last week, and he had a great week. (Detroit doesn't have any other receivers worth mentioning so yes--he faced some double coverage last week). 3rd, based on his skills and the quality of the Detroit offense (mediocre) vs. Arizona last year (pathetic) there's no reason to believe that he can't have as good OR BETTER of a year than Boldin.

Sure there is, he doesn't have jeff blake who "locks onto" one player. Jeff was a huge reason for boldin's success.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk