Is Roy Williams just a pretender? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Roy Williams just a pretender?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Fast Eddy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:05 am

TTTBone wrote:Roy is definately the real deal.
However, I'm still thinking Harrington has shown us about as much as most email "male enhancement" come-ons. Completely unproven, overpriced, and in the end, ultimately something that will always be a dissapointment.
Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I've been down on Harrington since before he was drafted.
That being said, Roy will have a decent year (1,000, 5 TDs). However, I think Tai Streets may be somewhat of a sleeper here. Definately, not the equal talent level, but probably a more reliable and savvy guy, who may well prove to be more consistent than Roy for the year.

BTW
Fast Eddy wrote:Williams is dripping with talent. After watching him play the first week against Minnesota I couldn't believe how strong he looked. Not only does he have great hands but defenders need to gang tackle him to get him down. He will post great numbers some day, it's just a question of how soon.

Totally agree, but it I think you are referring to the Chicago game, not Minnesota.

Seeing as Minnesota hasn't played Detroit yet, I'll reluctantly concede that you're right. I can't even get straight who my favorite team played.
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:41 am

AI8818 wrote:So does Harrington have to improve for Roy to become a "superstar" you can say, in the NFL.

I would say no. One can argue that CPepp has pretty bad accuracy, but it hasent hindered Moss very much at all.

I am still on the fence regarding Joey. He still hasent looked that impressive yet this yr - especially in the first half of both games. He is having a hard time hitting his recievers in stride. As the game progresses it appears as if he becomes more comfortable. Time will tell if Joey can hang or not. Im certainly not going to say he's a bad QB by any stretch. I think his leadership qualities are a real attribute to this team.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Is Roy Williams just a pretender?

Postby badger526 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:31 am

AI8818 wrote:I mean, is this guy for real? After Rogers went down, Williams stepped up in Week 2 and posted incredible numbers, even for a rookie. Can he keep this up all year, or is this just a one time deal...Thoughts?

He's for real. It's just a matter of how the Lions use him.
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mtarail » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:34 am

Paladyr wrote:
mtarail wrote:
mad benjamin wrote:I think Roy will be the real deal (note the future tense). But let's put into perspective that he is still a rookie and is likely being single-covered for right now. I think he will have a much more successful career than incumbent Charlie Rogers, who can't seem to stay healthy (I always thought Rogers looked to frail and wiry; not good when you play in the NFL).

Will he be another Boldin this year? No. He won't catch 100 balls, but he could top 70 and a handful or so of TDs.

He has all the tools to be a successful stud in this league, but give him time.

Wow. That's a bad take. 1st of all, he's already had a more successful year than Rogers (out for the season) is gonna have. 2nd, he was the #1 receiver in Detroit last week, and he had a great week. (Detroit doesn't have any other receivers worth mentioning so yes--he faced some double coverage last week). 3rd, based on his skills and the quality of the Detroit offense (mediocre) vs. Arizona last year (pathetic) there's no reason to believe that he can't have as good OR BETTER of a year than Boldin.

Sure there is, he doesn't have jeff blake who "locks onto" one player. Jeff was a huge reason for boldin's success.

So the only reason Roy couldn't be as good as Boldin, after all the reasons that me and other people mentioned, is because of the "Jeff Blake Factor?" LMAO.

I don't think Harrington has to improve for Roy put up great #'s, but on the other hand, having a top level receiver like Roy should improve his #'s, and that will improve his confidence. Plus, if K-Jones picks up the Det running game that'll also take pressure of Harrington.

I'd have to disagree with TTTBone's 5 touchdown prediction. Seeing as how Roy already has 3, my guess is 9 when the season is done, although I wouldn't be surprised if he got more. I also expect over 1,000 yards as the #1 threat in Detroit.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:44 am

mtarail wrote:So the only reason Roy couldn't be as good as Boldin, after all the reasons that me and other people mentioned, is because of the "Jeff Blake Factor?" LMAO.

1. a qb who has a history of locking onto one target
2. a team that had to play from behind the vast majority of the time.
3. a team with no running game

those are just a few reasons Boldin had the yr he had. It would be extremely suprising for a rookie WR to put up those type of numbers this yr or in the future unless many factors converged to form the right situation. The Lions arent in the right situation for ROY to put up 1300+yds:

1. The are a more balanced offense
2. Streets is a capable #2
3. Joey hasent shown that he puts blinders on for one WR like Blake does (although if ROY has many more jaw dropping plays like he has shown the first 2 weeks, no one would blame Joey for it.)
4. The Lions are decent enough not to be blown out every week like ARI was last yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bwzabodyn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:25 am

watching Roy for all four years we were at UT together - I can tell you he is one strong mo-fo... no one person can tackle this guy - he's the only person I know that can consistently take a hitch pass for 10+ yds while breaking 3 tackles in the process... it's amazing to watch him in the pros now after actually getting to meet him a few times at some parties in our apartment complex (his best friend was my across the hall neighbor) - his arms are WAYYYYY bigger in person, let me tell you...

I think his strength and talent alone are merit enough for him to be a successful WR in the NFL, even in his rookie yr, as long as he stays away from the one thing that has plagued him his whole career --- dropping wide open passes. Sure, he can make the spectacular, highlight reel catches all-day long (I think he's a shoe in for an ESPY already), but it's more important to catch those wide open passes in the middle of the field to convert on third and long... he'll be great, I just wish I had him as my 3rd receiver on one of my team :(
Formerly bzabodyn (over 1000 posts) - but I was deactivated!!! Poop on you!!!
bwzabodyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk