Fred Taylor vs Dominick Davis - Who's the better back? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fred Taylor vs Dominick Davis - Who's the better back?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:33 pm

Im loving everyone low on FTaylor. Im grabbing him up in everyone one of my leagues.

This week could be another tough game for him vs. Tenn. but after that its clear sailing. His next five games are the following:

IND
SD
KC
IND
HOU

And the only good D he plays after this week IMO is Tenn one more time.

So yeah I put FTaylor higher at the end of the year but DD is clearly higher now.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:40 pm

i wonder, of those of you who have taylor over or equal to DD, how do you rank em in leagues with 1 point per reception?
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:46 pm

My main league, for ablance reasons, awards 1 pt for receptions to everyone except RBs. They only get .5 per reception.

But at this level (.5) I would still want FTaylor over DD over the course of the whole season.
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:00 pm

Man I hear you, everyone has to be more patient. You know what your gonna get from the back at the end of the year, so just wait, because each STUD will go on a tear. And DD is greater than Marvin.

And I do have to say DD has been lucky these couple of weeks, because if there was a healthy Hollings on the bench, they may have gone to a RBBC already.

I remember they were going to at the beginning of the year.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 pm

This isn't two weeks ago though, and Fred hasn't produced much. Toefield has been coming in on 3rd downs, and Fred's foot is bothering him.

I think you would be stupid to evaluate them based on how they were perceived 2 weeks ago. We are dealing with the present.

They weren't that far apart to begin the season. An under-achieving Fred Taylor with a bad foot who is getting replaced on most 3rd downs won't even come close to matching D Davis.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:52 pm

taylor is still getting over 70% of the carries in Jax which is fine by me.

His issues right now are due to the lacking of the entire offense. Once Jax gets it going, which I think they will, Taylors numbers will also improve.

As for DD he is having a great start. But the fumbles dont mean too much in the fantasy world, they can easily cost him carries in the real world once Hollings is healthy.

I still put it very close but must give the edge to Taylor.
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:10 pm

I don't think he will fumble his job away. He didn't fumble much last year. It's a bit premature to deem him a fumbler based on 2 games.

Again, you can 'hope' Jacksonville gets it going on offense sometime down the road, but until that happens I'm not going to bump Taylor's value up. You don't even mention his foot injury, and with Fred, injury is something you absolutely must factor in.

I wouldn't be trading D Davis away for Taylor right now. Taylor hasn't done jack, is hurting again, and doesn't play on 3rd downs.

D Davis is the 3rd ranked back right now. Today. Not at the beginning of the year, not when Jax gets it's offense going. Today. He faces the leagues worst D in the Chiefs, so his value will probably only go up wafter week 3.

I don't see the argument for Taylor. All I see is well he WAS ranked higher, well he WILL be better once the offense kicks in. F@#$ that. Look at reality.
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Shader » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:32 am

dgroundhog wrote:This isn't two weeks ago though, and Fred hasn't produced much. Toefield has been coming in on 3rd downs, and Fred's foot is bothering him.

I think you would be stupid to evaluate them based on how they were perceived 2 weeks ago. We are dealing with the present.

They weren't that far apart to begin the season. An under-achieving Fred Taylor with a bad foot who is getting replaced on most 3rd downs won't even come close to matching D Davis.

I thought I'd give a few stats to throw some cold water on your curious theory that Taylor is losing carries/playing time.

Last week Toefield had 2 carries for -4 yards. The week before, 3 for 8.

So Toefield has 5 carries for 4 yards this year. I don't think Taylor owners should lose any sleep over this player who is "getting replaced on most 3rd downs"

Taylor is better than D.Davis. Period.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:34 am

smackthefirst wrote:Im loving everyone low on FTaylor. Im grabbing him up in everyone one of my leagues.

This week could be another tough game for him vs. Tenn. but after that its clear sailing. His next five games are the following:

IND
SD
KC
IND
HOU

And the only good D he plays after this week IMO is Tenn one more time.

So yeah I put FTaylor higher at the end of the year but DD is clearly higher now.

Interesting! I might try to buy low on him after he has a bad game this week against Tenesse. The only thing is that the team that has him has 0 Running back Depth. He has Jamal, Freddy and Garner.
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:24 am

[quote="Shader]
I thought I'd give a few stats to throw some cold water on your curious theory that Taylor is losing carries/playing time.

Last week Toefield had 2 carries for -4 yards. The week before, 3 for 8.

So Toefield has 5 carries for 4 yards this year. I don't think Taylor owners should lose any sleep over this player who is "getting replaced on most 3rd downs"

Taylor is better than D.Davis. Period.[/quote]

I said Taylor isn't going out there for most 3rd down situations. That reduces his value.

Toefield getting 5 carries isn't that alarming, no. Let me ask you this though, do teams always run on 3rd down? Nope. The fact that Taylor isn't in there DOES affect his value. They also draft a big rookie RB in Greg Jones, we haven't gotten to see if he takes goal line work away from Fred - who still hasn't had a good game on his hurt foot and has a history of not playing well or not playing at all when hurt.

If that sounds like an appealing situation to you, by all means trade for the guy.

I'll stick with the guy that is currently 3rd in RB production, and getting a ton of passes as well. He is not only in there on 3rd downs, passing downs and the goal line - he is a big part of their passing attack.
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk