Most Underrated Player. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Underrated Player.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most Underrated Player.

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:43 am

Most underrated? Depends on who you ask (and we did)
June 5, 2003
By Jay Glazer
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

un·der·rated tr.v, adj. -- To value below worth.

Perhaps no word in the NFL is more ambiguous than: underrated. Players often question when their names are attached to the label (maybe it tarnishes their star status) yet their agents rely upon the word to extract larger sums in contract talks.

Coaches dread the word for fear that their little overlooked secret will be let out of the bag. Fans? They brandish the word as a weapon when jousting with their cronies regarding the NFL's top players.

Because of the subjective nature of the word, judging the NFL's most underrated player is difficult. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth asking.

Who better to clear this up than the league's head coaches, right? Well, um, not really.

SportsLine.com polled 19 of the league's 32 head coaches and posed the following: Who is the most underrated player in today's NFL?

Our panel is a Whose Who of Those In the Know and included the Broncos' Mike Shanahan, Bucs' Jon Gruden, Steelers' Bill Cowher, Falcons' Dan Reeves, Giants' Jim Fassel, Cardinals' Dave McGinnis, Panthers' John Fox, Saints' Jim Haslett, Chiefs' Dick Vermeil, Bears' Dick Jauron, Miami's Dave Wannstedt, Jets' Herm Edwards, Vikings' Mike Tice, Eagles' Andy Reid, Texans' Dom Capers, Bills' Gregg Williams, Titans' Jeff Fisher, Colts' Tony Dungy and Ravens' Brian Billick. (Most have allowed their names to be attached to their votes, but a couple requested that their choices remain anonymous.)

The answers were predictably unpredictable, especially since several coaches had different definitions of the term "underrated."

For example, some believed the answer should be a player who never made a Pro Bowl. Others answered with a name that has made it to Hawaii but is still overshadowed by bigger names. Others went even further, selecting a player who has star power but still not equal to their actual worth.

The answers also ranged from kicker to quarterback, and surprisingly, just three defensive players were named.

The informal poll was conducted without the intent of tabbing one particular player. Instead, the idea was to gather a sense of who these coaches think are overlooked on Sundays. But after tabulating the votes, one player emerged more than the others. Considering how many players there were for our coaches to randomly choose from (they were not given a list of names or other coaches' votes), getting the three winning votes is quite impressive.

So who is this overlooked gridiron soldier?

Go Here.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:34 am

Man you find some good reads !!! ;-D

I bet ole Slingblade will be happy to see McNair getting a mention in there. :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:54 am

GP - Club Reporter is on the prowl!!!

Be on the lookout for a big ugly dog wearing a fedora with a press card sticking outta the top!! hehehe

Nice finds GP!! Keep em coming! ;-D
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Poobah » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:55 am

I think it's interesting that Mike Brown made the list, after being all over the TV those two back-to-back weekends when he ran back interceptions for TDs in OT for Chicago

I'd love to get Tiki on my team, but one guy in my league went to high school with him, so has to get him every stinking year... bastard
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby DUKE » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:40 am

that's a great read. I agree w/ alot of the players mentioned. Mcnair and Brad Johnson would be on my list. Also Keith Bullock and Hovan are definitely on there. Some others not mentioned: Kerry Collins, Hines Ward, Jon Kitna, Anthony Simmons, Trent Green, Chad Johnson, and Fred Beasley.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:18 am

A very good read. Gutt just keeps 'em coming. There are a ton of players in the league who could have this status. I bet each one of us could name a couple on our fav teams.

Chris Hovan DT A high motor type of guy. Constantly gives 110% on every play. Very fiery personality. Lives and breathes to wreak havoc.

Jim Kleinsasser TE (the guy is a freak of nature) paves the way for Bennett to run. Not only on the line, but from the full back spot as well. Knocks people on their arses contantly.
Good hands. Last year I saw him pull more than one pass off his shoestrings from a piss poor CPepp throw.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:08 pm

Good find GP!! And I always thought Brad J. was underrated.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Slingblade » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:46 pm

great find GP ;-D
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Most Underrated Player

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:51 pm

There are so many underrated players, that I think we'd need to vote on them by position, with a seperate honor for most underrated 3rd down/bench warmer.

For QB, I give the honor to TOM BRADY, rated on this site's cheat sheet as #20 among QB's. Didn't he lead the NFL in TD's last year? Didn't he win a Superbowl the year before? Returning this year with the same offensive players, you can expect more success from Brady, who ranks among the NFL elite in my book.

How about underrated teams while we're at it? The Cleveland Browns may have the most skill position depth of any team in the NFL, with a QB, RB, and WR's on the bench who are arguably as good or better than the guys starting. If they can make the best use of their abundance of offensive talent, and get some help from their defense, they could be a major force to reckon with this year.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Nero » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:06 pm

Great read...

;-D
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter