Bills grounded? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bills grounded?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bills grounded?

Postby Petey » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:46 am

From USA TODAY:

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe isn't pining for another season with 4,000 yards passing.
After throwing the ball 610 times for 4,359 yards and 24 touchdowns last season - his first as a Bill since being traded by the New England Patriots, proving he was far from washed up at 30 - Bledsoe wouldn't mind seeing his personal numbers go down provided it meant the number of team victories goes up.

"If we throw the ball 20 times and we're effective at that and running the ball very well and winning games, you're going to hear no complaints out of me," said Bledsoe as the Bills gathered at Ralph Wilson Stadium for the first of three four-day sessions of organized team activity.

"It's a great style of football. It's a winning style of football."

After losing receiving targets Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers, and reshaping their defense with seven free agents, the Bills plan to play ball control and eliminate the many shootouts they took part in during last season's 8-8 finish.

Buffalo's running game was beefed up by the addition of classic blocking fullback Sam Gash and running back Olandis Gary, who will spot Travis Henry.

Wide receivers Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw will pick up where Price left off, but they are medium-range catchers meaning the long ball may not be so prevalent as it was, although Pro Bowler Eric Moulds can do it all.

From Petey: Looks like I'll be moving Bledsoe down on my cheat sheets.
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:52 am

People have been talking about them running the ball more, this seems to be pretty firm evidence of such a move. Good for travis.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:04 am

yep...looks like travis will be holding the ball more than bledsoe this season...kinda puts a hamper on Drew and Eric at this point...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Poobah » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:08 am

Even so, I can't see Moulds dropping below 90 catches, 1300 yards, and 8-10 TD. Still top half-dozen or so...
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Bledsoe

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:48 pm

I've heard all this before. Every year coaches come out and say they are going to do this and that. It's all the same. The Bills Off. Coord. is that Gilbride guy who runs his own version of the Run-n-shoot from the old Oilers and Warren Moon days. Fact is that they will still toss the rock around but with a better defense this year they will be able to run the ball and actually milk a lead every once in a while. I expect Bledsoe's yardage to go down a little but not a lot. It should not effect his FF draft status. Heek, his ranking should go up if your league takes away points for interceptions. He will be under less pressure to make the big play and can actually throw a ball away. Last year he felt like he had to make every pass and score every drive b/c the defense was so bad. He is still a Top 5 QB with McNabb, Gannon, Manning, Vick and then Bledsoe.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Slingblade » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:55 pm

Poobah wrote:Even so, I can't see Moulds dropping below 90 catches, 1300 yards, and 8-10 TD. Still top half-dozen or so...

same here
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Poobah » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:40 pm

Did sling and I just agree? Is this a sign of the apocalypse?
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Slingblade » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:45 pm

Poobah wrote:Did sling and I just agree? Is this a sign of the apocalypse?

lol
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk