is this a fair tactic? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

is this a fair tactic?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bowie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:10 am

Same exact thing happenned to me when Alexander went down. I picked up Morris with the same intention (my opponent had Alexander the next week) and asked the Cafe about it. The general consensus was against it (although no one threatened to bury me or eat my mother), so I held on to him through the weeks games. Of course, Alexander played, so it was all a useless exercise.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:51 pm

That's criminal but pure genius.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:10 pm

The actual move of picking up a player to block that player from being picked up is fine with me. But just to drop him to place him on waivers is wrong. like Lindsey said if you are willing to give up the waiver spots to block the other slow owner then fine thats his problem. It happens all the time and I have no problem with it. I actually think it's smart and prudent managing. If you didn't do it you'd be a moron. You're in this game to win.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arpline » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:20 pm

Look... Be honest... Do you really think even if he picked up Johnson he could really be a threat?
Arpline
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:23 pm

I did the same thing....The guy I play this week has Priest....Why is this considered "foul play?" It's the spirit of competition.

I added Blaylock yesterday. Someone added L Johnson and dropped him 2 days ago....when LJ clears waivers I plan on adding and dropping quickly--sending Mr Johnson to WW jail for 3 more days....so he's available Monday. Not Sunday.

AT least I try to win..it's better than not caring at all, right?

And it looks like I'll add D RHodes early Saturday Morning too(when he clears the WW)...possibly starting him....and I'll drop Blaylock Satuday also. Or maybe I won't...Mooooo-ha ha ha ha ha-----moooo-ha ha ha ha

I love this game!!!!
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:25 pm

I am for it either way keeping them or dumping...do whatever you gotta do to win.....I am in a legaue where EVERYOEN would do that....thats how competitive we are.

Be like Steinbrenner...whatever it takes.
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:33 pm

kevinashcraft wrote:I am for it either way keeping them or dumping...do whatever you gotta do to win.....I am in a legaue where EVERYOEN would do that....thats how competitive we are.

Be like Steinbrenner...whatever it takes.

Agree..it's better than being in a league w/ people who don't care.

Whatever it takes to win...frankly, I'm all for it and will not bitch if it happens to me...I'll just say, "nice move."
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Opinion Ape » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:35 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:I did the same thing....The guy I play this week has Priest....Why is this considered "foul play?" It's the spirit of competition.

It is NOT in the spirit of competition. What a load. The spirit of competition is to make your own team better by making your own damn team better. NFL teams practice harder, look for undrafted diamonds in the rough, try to pinpoint weaknesses in their opponents . . . but they don't go over on Sunday morning and put sugar in the fuel tank of their opponent's bus.

It's one thing to grab players for your team to even possibly use. It's quite another to have an open roster spot through which you cycle everyone so no one else can have them. Be a f&$king man. Decide the players who will benefit your team the most, and take them, and if you make the wrong decision, and someone else beats you with those players, guess what, you lost. Because you made a poorer fantasy decision. Better than winning by being a dick.

Further, do you know why most on-line leagues have waivers? It's so the sadsack who has no real responsibilities and can sit on his computer all day can't pick up each and every player as he's dropped. The waiver system ensures with some level of reasonable attention to your team, everybody has an equal chance at getting recently dropped players. Since that's the intention, to use the WW to insure no one can get any players, is clearly ass-backwards and NOT in the spirit of the game.

After reading your other thread, Members Only, & this thread by this OP, I could write for about 60 more paragraphs. But I'll try to leave it at this. Jesus. I would say I would never be in a league with you, but fortunately enough, I've only been in leagues with my friends so far, and I have to tell you, I'm not even sure I could be friends with you. Grow some balls and play straight up.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:42 pm

Opinion--I don't block players ....I was kidding about adding LJ....I seriously added Blaylock because I wanted to start him. It just so happens the guy I play this week has Holmes.

I realized what I was doing after the fact...my main intention was/is to make my team better. Don't get carried away , people....I understand your points and I don't use this tactic JUST TO USE THIS TACTIC.
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Opinion Ape » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:51 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:Opinion--I don't block players ....I was kidding about adding LJ....I seriously added Blaylock because I wanted to start him. It just so happens the guy I play this week has Holmes.

I realized what I was doing after the fact...my main intention was/is to make my team better. Don't get carried away , people....I understand your points and I don't use this tactic JUST TO USE THIS TACTIC.

In my fury, that post got a little more pointed & personal than it should be. For people that DO use churning as tactic, I'm going to leave it unedited, because my points remain valid for them, but for the personal attack portion, MOJ, I apologize. Rough week -- I don't usually try to pummel strangers over fantasy games.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk