is this a fair tactic? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

is this a fair tactic?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby elway7 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:56 pm

Larry Johnson is irrelevant. He is not going to get any carries. If you were smart you would hold onto Blaylock and dangle him for trades w/ the Holmes owner because I am sure this is not going to be the only time this year Holmes is questionable to play. Right now Blaylocks the #2 and Johnson and Vermeil are having words. Johnsons value is zero. As far as your tactics they could backfire on you has you drop on the waiver and someone you really want might be there. But beating him to Blaylock was definitly a smart move. Dropping Blaylock for Johnson was stupid now he has a chance at him for future injuries.
elway7
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:59 pm

Ape--that's cool..I didn't take it persoanl because I never churned players....and I never had it happen to me....but yeah, I can see how it would piss people off.

This is my 2nd yr in FF so I guess I'm still learning the ropes ;-D
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JrcWy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:16 pm

Where does it end though? Last year a guy in one of my leagues knew his opponents kicker had a bye. So he used a bench spot to go through each kicker of the FA list and waive each one. His opponent did not have a starting kicker that week. It was a real cheep shot.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:18 pm

JrcWY wrote:Where does it end though? Last year a guy in one of my leagues knew his opponents kicker had a bye. So he used a bench spot to go through each kicker of the FA list and waive each one. His opponent did not have a starting kicker that week. It was a real cheep shot.

BRILLIANT!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:22 pm

JrcWY wrote:Where does it end though? Last year a guy in one of my leagues knew his opponents kicker had a bye. So he used a bench spot to go through each kicker of the FA list and waive each one. His opponent did not have a starting kicker that week. It was a real cheep shot.

Most leagues have specific rules against this kind of churning.
Personally, I have no problem with it, however. This guy in your league should not have waited so long to pick up his bye week kicker. If he had picked one up on a Tuesday, for instance, this would not have been an issue. Personally, I think this is pretty funny. The ONLY reason I wouldn't do it would be that most leagues will kick you out for churning.

Edit: I know in Yahoo leagues (not sure about others), the system will only let you pick up and drop the same player once a day (ie. if you pick up Longwell and then drop him for Akers, you can't drop Akers till the next day). Therefore, unless you are willing to gut your roster, this scale of churning is impossible.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:34 pm

In the leagues I commish, I would just post a message that anyone interested in the given player(s) should send in a quick WW request for them, and I would waive the WW period, and manually process the requests Saturday night... That would fix it...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:55 pm

Opinion Ape wrote:t is NOT in the spirit of competition. What a load. The spirit of competition is to make your own team better by making your own damn team better. NFL teams practice harder, look for undrafted diamonds in the rough, try to pinpoint weaknesses in their opponents . . . but they don't go over on Sunday morning and put sugar in the fuel tank of their opponent's bus.
Professional teams use these tactics as well. I'll use a baseball example: The Padres put David Wells on the WW and the Yankees claimed him with absolutely no intention keeping him, Just so the Red Sox would have no shot at him. Isn't This the same thing?
Stewie: [hitting on some co-eds] I must say, the most recent campus sporting event was quite spectacular.
Co-ed: Aw. Are you in a fraternity, little boy?
Stewie: Not yet, but I'm thinking of joining I Felta Thigh.
Andy1234
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:21 pm

I'm not sure that I agree that it is the same. In that example, the Yankees incur some obligation and some value. They have to pay the man, they use a roster spot, and they have the opportunity to play him. AND, the Red Sox had the SAME claim opportunity that the Yankees did. (For a week, I think.) The Yankees can't pick up every single unemployed pitcher in the country to prevent their availability to the Red Sox.
The 'ww churning' does nothing but prevent the player from being used by anybody. Seems different to me.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:38 pm

yea the yankees did that once and got stuck with jose canseco because of it ... it ended up being a real problem for them.

This type of thing is cut down on leagues that charge a transaction fee.

But, professional teams do things LIKE this all the time -- don;t think for a minute that they don;t put in bids on rfa's in nfl and nba, just to screw the team into paying said player more.

The nets and nuggets had a little back and forth with that.

I still think it is bs.

its one thing to notice your opponent doesn;t have a kicker, and to use an extra spot to take the BEST kicker, or even two to play keep away. quite another to churn the fa list.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Opinion Ape » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:45 pm

Andy1234 wrote:
Opinion Ape wrote:t is NOT in the spirit of competition. What a load. The spirit of competition is to make your own team better by making your own damn team better. NFL teams practice harder, look for undrafted diamonds in the rough, try to pinpoint weaknesses in their opponents . . . but they don't go over on Sunday morning and put sugar in the fuel tank of their opponent's bus.
Professional teams use these tactics as well. I'll use a baseball example: The Padres put David Wells on the WW and the Yankees claimed him with absolutely no intention keeping him, Just so the Red Sox would have no shot at him. Isn't This the same thing?

I had thought of this, actually, although not this example, and Chopper already made the points I was going to make (better & more succinctly), in response. Because I'm bored, I'll make them again: real-life teams have different penalties than fantasy teams in terms of playing "keep away" -- salary, roster slot, etc. Plus, presumably the player they picked up has some potential value, or else they wouldn't have been so eager to keep them away from the other team; that value, even if not immediately needed, is now on their roster. Finally he Yanks couldn't have released David Wells the very next day, because the "problem" wouldn't have been solved -- the Sox could have grabbed him then.

The only punative thing I can think of in fantasy is that you *might* lose your waiver slot making these types of moves. But once you're already in last position, who cares, and waiver priority is not that big a deal in fantasy football, IMO.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk