Get those backs early - a June mock draft shows... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Get those backs early - a June mock draft shows...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Get those backs early - a June mock draft shows...

Postby Poobah » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:43 pm

That while I will be updating as we go along, this 10-team, combination scoring league I am doing at antsports.com has thus far shown a trend towards the RB.

I picked 4th - Portis (4th back taken)
17th - Moss (3rd WR, 14 RB taken so far)

I'll update this sporadically, but I have predrafted for RB at the 24th spot (unless Lewis, Taylor, Davis, Bennett, and William Green all go, in which case I'll get Moulds or Horn) and WR at the 37th spot, unless one of the aforementioned RB is still there or the 12 WR I ranked are all gone, in which case I get Manning, Culpepper, or McNabb...

Cheers ;-D
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Poobah » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:15 am

The RB run stopped at the end of the 2nd round, briefly, and I took Jamal Lewis at #24. He was the 16th back taken.

4th round, I was wanting William Green to fall back to me, but he went #30 overall, to a guy selecting his third back in three rounds. Then he took Culpepper, so the focus in not on WR, it seems.

At #37, I took Koren Robinson, because Michael Bennett went right before me. So far, 38 picks in:

21 RB
12 WR (that being Robinson)
5 QB (McNabb, Vick, Warner, Garcia, Culpepper)

At #44, I can guaranteed have Canidate, Barlow, Hambrick, or Mack. Think I'll do that, see if Manning is still around at #57. If not, I'll go WR, and probably QB at #64. Some great QB still around, probably not too many will do their backups that early.

Current roster:

Portis
Lewis
Moss
Robinson
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:18 am

ur lucky u got lewis that late... ur roster looks nice so far! ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:25 am

terpfan wrote:ur lucky u got lewis that late... ur roster looks nice so far! ;-D

I agree with Terp, youre building a decent roster there, but then having seen your advice here at the Cafe I wouldnt expect anything less ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Poobah » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:13 pm

Ya'll are too kind really... ;-D

Just trying to put a little Cafe knowledge outside of the Cafe, and report back. After all, there are very few leagues where every owner has access to the same information, thought it might be helpful to see what a little "hands-on" work might bring.

Probably do a 12-team Mock Draft next week, if I ever get this one done. People who don't predraft chafe my derriere. Toned down language does not anger mods. Hmm. Grunt
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nero » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:40 pm

nicely done poobah :)

however, I think the results you're seeing in your draft are pretty much on par with what you'd expect
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joe_montana » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:11 pm

You are very lucky to get Lewis that late. He went in the first round in a draft I am in. And if you think you have a bunch of RB's going, in that same league 15 running backs were taken with the first 15 picks.
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Poobah » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 am

Joe, you're right, it slowed up considerably, but 13 out of 15 picks was still practical validation, even more validation I should say, of the "get the RB" theory.

I should have titled the thread "You CAN wait on a QB". 60 picks in, and two teams, including mine, still don't have QBs. I've predrafted, and know I'll get Maddox, Pennington, Favre, or McNair. I can live with that. Probably get one of them as my back up in round 8 or 9...

If not one of them, Hasselbeck, Brooks, Johnson, Collins, Green or Brady. All good. ;-D

I guess we should shut the thread down because the backs have dried up. However, it was:

11 out of 11
12 out of 14
14 out of 17
15 out of 19
16 out of 24
17 out of 27
18 out of 30
20 out of 38
24 out of 51
26 out of 55

Toodles!!
Poobah