Reasonable Scoring System??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Reasonable Scoring System???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reasonable Scoring System???

Postby Ciaran » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:31 pm

Just wanted some 3rd party feedback on this scoring system for the league I'm currently in. There's been some issues/challenges, and, being a newbie, I'm not too sure what to make of it. The basic attack is that, well, I don't want to influence anyone with the power of suggestion. Maybe you guys will intuitively see what it possibly could be, I don't know.

I know this topic is a bit dry, but I'd really appreciate any opinions on whether such a system is reasonable/fairly standard/arguably flawed etc. Many thanks in advance...

Stat Categories: Completions (1)

OFFENSE
Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (15 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (25 yards per point)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-3)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (6)
Point After Attempt Made (1)

TEAM DEFENSE
Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (3)
Points Allowed 0 points (12)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

INDIVIDUAL DEFENSE
Tackle Solo (0.5)
Sack (3)
Interception (2)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (3)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (3)

Fractional Points: Yes

Negative Points: Yes
Ciaran
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TTTBone » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:50 pm

Really don't see any problem.
Maybe you're referring to the Passing Yards (25 yards per point), or the Return Yards (25 yards per point). The 25 yds per point for passing puts QBs at a premium, but if these were the league rules pre-draft, then what is the problem? Not at all out of line. The return yards is a nice thing, gives value to returners/WR's. Hell, the Cafe Khronic Keeper League gives 10 return yards per point. I like your scoring system. Am I missing something?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby matmat » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:54 pm

doesn't seem to unreasonable. It is quite possible that the one point per reception is a little high and boosts the value of running backs even higher than it is in other leagues. I also think that WR are probably low scoring, with the exception of those that also return kicks of some sort -> 20 yards per point seems like a lot
I am not a big fan of lack of conservation of points. It would make sense that if a lost fumble is -3 points that forced fumble should be +1 and defensive fumble recovery should be +2. same for picks... if picks are -2, they should be +2 on defence.

just my 2p.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:59 pm

No real problem here, either. I'd prefer a little less emphasis on passing yards. Oh, and I think minus 3 per fumble is a bit high, but then again, I have DD and Kurt Warner. :-D
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:02 pm

I don't see any problems here as long as everyone had access to the list before the draft. If I didn't see this list before the draft, than I might get mad at the 1pt. per reception and 1pt. per 25 yards returns, since these two parts would alter draft strategy.

Was this scoring system posted where everyone could get to it before the draft?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ciaran » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the scoring system was made readily available prior to the draft. That's not really the issue here though. I mean, people aren't making formal complaints or anything, just a lot of whining, bitching, and so on.

The issue some managers are bringing up is basically that the system rewards the passing game too much, while running backs don't score enough.

We start...

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
RB/WR
K
DEF
DL
DB
D

and 6 bench spots are open for any players/defenses

People are upset for instance that, for example, A.J. Feeley scores more points per week than Edgerrin James. Some have even suggested that RB's should be given points for carries if WR/TE are given points for receptions and QB's are given points for completions, or even that completions and receptions should not count at all. Other managers have obviously disagreed with such logic.

I was just wondering what the Fantasy Football world in general thought about the situation. I really appreciate the comments, keep em coming...
Ciaran
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bowie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:18 pm

If they knew the system before hand, than they have no right to complain now.
Who cares if Feely outscores James? As long as Feely doesn't outscore Manning, it's fair. Sure, if QBs score more, than the difference between good and bad QBs will be more than that between good and bad RBs (to scale), but this is negligible. If they whine, just explain to them that it would be unfair to change settings after the draft (in consideration for those who payed attention to them before the draft).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk