Return to Football Talk

T.O.in for a Bumpy Ride.

Moderator: Football Moderators

T.O.in for a Bumpy Ride.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:16 am

Posted on Sun, Jun. 08, 2003

ERIC GILMORE: TIMES COLUMNIST
49ers, Owens in for bumpy ride

The exact year escapes me, but the scene at 49ers headquarters remains clear.

Wide receiver Jerry Rice was still a 49er, in the prime of his amazing career. Minicamp had ended at Santa Clara, and Rice was talking to reporters about his push for a new contract.

"Buckle your seatbelts," Rice said, flashing a smile. "It's going to be a bumpy ride."

In reality, Rice's contract rides were rarely very rough. He was the league's best receiver, not to mention a tireless worker who, for the most part, avoided divisive controversy. So the 49ers kept unlocking the bank vault for Rice, keeping him at or near the top of the NFL's salary chart for wide receivers.

You want to watch a truly bumpy ride?

Keep your eyes on the 49ers and receiver Terrell Owens. We're talking about a potential head-on collision that could shake the franchise to its core.

Owens can void his contract after the 2003 season, when he's slated to earn a base salary of $4.2 million. He wants a new long-term, megabucks contract, and he wants it now.

Just in case the 49ers had any doubts, Owens skipped two voluntary minicamps and one voluntary passing camp. He also went on ESPN's "Rome is Burning" and said he's "underpaid" and willing to play for "any other team" in 2004 if the 49ers don't show him enough money.

The 49ers' response?

"We have a contract with T.O.," 49ers general manager Terry Donahue told reporters Monday. "There's no urgency to get a new deal."

Donahue has met with David Joseph, Owens' agent, and opened contract talks. But it's clear he's in no rush to make a deal.

You can bet Owens has his spandex in a bunch over Donahue's go-slow approach. It's not hard imagining him waging a training camp holdout.

There's no question Owens will play hard and play with passion when he reports to camp, new contract or no new contract. But when Owens is unhappy, he has a way of making everyone unhappy. Welcome to the 49ers, coach Dennis Erickson.

Donahue and his boss, John York, face a tougher decision concerning Owens' fate than the 49ers ever did when Rice was in his prime.

Owens comes with more baggage than Rice. What's more, the price tag for NFL superstars has skyrocketed.

The Chicago Bears just signed linebacker Brian Urlacher reportedly to a new nine-year, $58 million deal, including a $13 signing bonus.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis signed a seven-year, $50 million contract in 2001 that included a $19 million signing bonus.

Owens apparently wants guaranteed bonuses in the $20 million range.

The 49ers have to decide whether they want to invest that much cash in such a talented but volatile player.

It's hard to even imagine York, who is as frugal as former owner Eddie DeBartolo was lavish, signing a $20 million check.

What makes the situation even more dicey for Donahue and York is that Owens isn't the only 49er approaching free agency.

Pro Bowl outside linebacker Julian Peterson and cornerback Ahmed Plummer also can void their contracts after the 2003 season.

Peterson is a rising star who will carry a huge price tag. Plummer isn't quite Pro Bowl-caliber. But the demand for quality corners in the NFL far outstrips the supply. So he'll become a very rich man.

Starting cornerback Jason Webster and starting receiver Tai Streets can become unrestricted free agents, too. More money.

The 49ers dug themselves out of the salary-cap hole Carmen Policy, Dwight Clark and DeBartolo created in mad pursuit of Super Bowls past.

They even managed to make back-to-back playoff appearances the past two seasons while crawling toward the light.

The 49ers will have to make some tough decisions to avoid a return to salary-cap hell. They can't keep everyone. That's especially true if they re-sign Owens, their best player.

The 49ers could always slap the franchise player tag on Owens for 2004, paying him the average of the NFL's five highest paid receivers. That's currently $5.01 million.

You can imagine how bitter Owens would be if the 49ers forced him to stay in 2004 without a new long-term deal. In that scenario, he would be free to leave in 2005.

Talk about your long, bumpy rides.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:20 am

I dont know, if you read this and think of Rice then you begin to think perhaps they will let Owens go, but I just cant see it. They have the money and you have to presume they want to win a super bowl or two, Owens is a HUGE step in that direction.

I think they will buckle and give him the contract he wants.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby joester » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:45 pm

I agree with Homeless they wont let TO go. Theres no way that if they have the money they can let go of a player of his calibur w/o getting anything in return.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mudd » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:51 pm

Letting TO go would the worst mistake in franchise history. That won't happen.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dazedncnfz » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:16 pm

worst mistake....to say the least......so far Rice has been it, he has proven them wrong since he left, and with Owens...he has a lot more year in him, this would bite in the arse hard. He will stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did slap the tag on him for 2004 and tried a contract after that season.

the niners don't have a ton a cap room...they have dug out, but their not done yet.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Poobah » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:22 pm

TO traded before the beginning of the 2004 season? Just a thought....

*shrug*

Get something before you get nothing
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby VIPER » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:53 pm

There is no way they would get rid of TO.........unless....they turned into the Cardinals this off-season. :-B Things could get nasty in this situation. We all know how TO can be.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:31 pm

There's no way the 49'ers won't slap the franchise tag on him in '04 rather than let him walk, so worst case scenario is he's a 49er for 2 more years before he leaves town. A lot can happen in two years. Maybe Brandon Lloyd is the next Jerry Rice? :-o
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mudd » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:58 pm

worst mistake....to say the least......so far Rice has been it, he has proven them wrong since he left

They let him go b/c they needed cap room. Letting Rice go was one of the BEST moves in history. That was a tough decision, but the one that HAD to be made.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:11 pm

Mudd wrote:They let him go b/c they needed cap room. Letting Rice go was one of the BEST moves in history. That was a tough decision, but the one that HAD to be made.

Best?...I think not..They did have cap reasons, yes...buts that not why he was let go. Rice has restructured his contract a few times for the Niners ( the most known was him actually giveing up a small piece of his salery for them to be able to sign Sanders)..the main reason he was left go was TO...TO wanted the spot light and #1 spot, and as long as Rice was there he couldn't have it.

It took Rice 1, thats right just 1 year to take the #1 spot from Tim Brown, who has been a Raider all his life. The pair of Rice and TO would be damn near unstoppable if To just could have just shared the spot with him, Rice never wanted to leave. He also never wanted to retire, because he felt he wasn't done yet.....so far he showing excatly that.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk