Max WW moves??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Max WW moves???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Max WW moves???

Postby garretterik » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:17 am

Does anybody else play in a league that limits the number of Waiver Wire moves you can make? I don't understand the point of this. In my league there is a guy who is trying to make the case that these limits encourage more trades, since there is no maximum on these, (which they didn't) and they maintain the "sanctity of the draft" (what the hell does that mean.) So I just thought I would ask you Experts to voice your opinion.
garretterik
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:35 am

Yes, I can shed light on this subject for you. My commissioner set a transaction limit of 25 moves this year. The reason was simple (and the God-honest truth straight from his mouth): He didn't want me snatching up all the usable players off the wire before everyone else could. :-t

I'd read up on that trade rule you speak of because in my league there is no limit to the amount of trading you do, but it still counts against your "transactions" count.

He's got a point about the "sanctity" thing, but I wouldn't have worded it that way...just sounds freaky! It makes your draft more important since you can't just be switching between each "flavor of the week" off and on the whole year.

Actually, having 25 moves per year isn't bad; it's almost two a week, so you can still switch defenses every week and/or switch off for bye players and get those gems off the wire.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby hammerwx » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:49 am

Another way of encouraging trades over wavier wire pickups is to allow a large # of bench players.

When there are slim pickin's, teams are forced to trade or rely on thier bench, not the wavier wire. In ten team leagues with small benches, it does not make any sense to trade, there are almost always viable fill ins available on the waver wire.
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby T-DIDDY » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:21 am

In our league, we are allowed 10 free pick-ups. After that, they are 2 dollars each. This rule was in place because of me. A couple years ago they put the rule in because people complained that I picked up and dropped people too much. They think I sit at work all day and read about fantasy football to determine who to pick up and drop. That is NOT true. I also go home and read about it. Anyway, the 2 dollars does not deter me at all from making pick-ups. I believe you are stupid if you don't try to make your team better as much as possible. I've had the most pick-ups in the last 2 years, but I also won our championship the last 2 years...
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby erios00 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:34 am

We allow 2 free Pick ups ($5) but after that there is no limit. it helps increase the pot for the winner at the end of the year.
erios00
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shipphappens » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:27 am

yeah we only get 8 pick ups and no trades
shipphappens
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:30 am

The greatest benefit to setting a transaction limit is it keeps people from "churning" the FA market, which from the threads I read yesterday seems to be a more and more common abuse of the Waiver Wire system...

By churning I mean picking up and then immediately dropping FA players not for the purpose of using them, but for the purpose of placing them on a waiver wait so that they aren't available to other owners for the week's games...

With unlimited transactions, and a 2-3 day WW period, it is possible for an owner to pick up and then drop many if not all of the available DEF, K, and sleepers for a given week, thus making them unavailable to owners that seek to pick them up for the weekend....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:49 am

The only other reason I see for limiting the # of WW moves (which I do like) is it forces you to be a better drafter. My $$ league on yahoo I set a limit of 15 moves. I just hate seeing all these one week studs being constantly picked up and dropped week to week because people sucked at drafting.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk