Injury Risks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Injury Risks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Injury Risks

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:56 am

I think that it is pretty stupid to say that somebody is an "injury risk". Unless the player has a chronic injury that flares up all of the time, has been known to be unable to play in pain or is playing behind the Miami O-line there is no way to predict injuries. This is why I found this article on fanball to be pretty funny:

Who's Next?

Jeremy Shockey is an injury waiting to happen.
By Rick Kamla, Senior Editor
September 22, 2004 5:00 PM ET

We're all going to hell, what with hurricanes ravaging our shores, power plants nearly blowing up, and the NFL's current injury epidemic.

The injuries have been so random, so diverse, and so constant that if you still have your original starting lineup, you might want to consider catching the next flight to Vegas.

From Michael Bennett's knee injury to Edgerrin James' mysterious hamstring strain, no one in the NFL is immune to the injury bug. Yes, even Brett Favre and Steve McNair have their guard up.

If you're like me, your teams are a disaster area right now. In one league, I drafted Shaun Alexander, Bennett, Steve Smith, and Charles Rogers with four of my first five picks. In Paul Charchian's league, I just took three more hits with Edge, Kellen Winslow Jr., and Deion Branch. It's getting so bad that I cringe every time my players get tackled.

"Don't hurt my dude!" was my mantra for last weekend, and I'll probably be screaming it all the way to the Fantasy Bowl(s)—hopefully.

It's imperative in his stormy climate to batten down the hatches for impending misery. To that end, I give you the top 10 injury risks not currently dealing with a major injury.

(Note: This is not a pathetic and desperate attempt to jinx the players owned by the other dudes in my four leagues. My karmic sensibilities would never allow such chicanery. Plus, I own a few of the injury risks who are listed below according to likelihood of injury.)

10. Daunte Culpepper, Vikings: Many of you are crying "blasphemy" for my inclusion of Daunte in this article, but may I remind you that he missed five games in 2001 and two more last year. If your roster is small, sit tight and hope Daunte stays healthy. However, if you have roster flexibility, pick up Gus Frerotte, who threw for 506 yards and six touchdowns in two starts last year.

9. Fred Taylor, Jaguars: Taylor has been injury-free for two years, which should scare you to death. Fraud is due to get more nicked up than he already is. Taylor entered last week's game with a foot injury and proceeded to get pounded by Denver's tough defense. It's a tough handcuff call between LaBrandon Toefield and Greg Jones, but I would take Toefield, who's already seeing playing time in passing situations.

8. Mike Vick, Falcons: We have good reason to be worried about Vick—actually, we better pluralize that. We all know about his broken leg and most of us know about the preseason hamstring injury, but unless you watch Vick every week, you don't truly understand how athletic—and reckless—he is. Like Steve Young in his heyday, Vick throws himself around the grid with the reckless abandon of a Hollywood stuntman. I love his fearlessness, but I fear his love for the extra yard.

7. Quentin Griffin, Broncos: I'm sorry, but I don't trust a 5-7 back to make it 16 games. With Griffin getting almost all the carries, now is a great time to close the backdoor by quietly trading for Tatum Bell.

6. Thomas Jones, Bears: With two scores in each game, Jones is playing the part of a first-round fantasy pick. But can he keep it up? Jones has never gone wire-to-wire and his trade value has never been higher. With teams desperately seeking a remotely reliable running back, I have a feeling you could get a lot for Jones right about now.

5. Marc Bulger, Rams: Bulger endured five sacks and several hurries in Sunday's loss to the Falcons and I'm concerned he won't make it 16 games. The Rams' offensive line is junk, so have a plan B ready if you own Bulger. May I recommend Vinny Testaverde?

4. Marshall Faulk, Rams: There isn't any big injury news to report on Faulk, and isn't that ironic? Faulk might have been the No. 1 injury risk heading into the season, yet here he is, intact after two weeks of unadulterated carnage. Marshall did take a helmet to the knee area in Sunday's game, and he admitted that the injury bothered him, but he completed that drive with a score. Faulk remains a ticking time bomb, but because he's still relatively healthy and the Rams are looking so bad, now would be a good time to trade for impressive rookie Steven Jackson.

3. Chris Brown, Titans: Brown has rushed for 100 yards in the first half of both games and he played through his sprained ankle last week. That said, there's something about this former-Buff I don't trust. Antowain Smith is probably chilling on waivers and I would make a point of picking him up this week.

2. Emmitt Smith, Cardinals: That Emmitt has a score in each game is one of the biggest surprises of the young season. That he isn't already broken down is one of the great mysteries of the world. I mean, Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, and Deuce McAllister are hurt and Emmitt isn't? I told you we're all going to hell. Don't bother picking up a handcuff for old man Emmitt, just be sure to trade him as soon as possible.

1. Jeremy Shockey, Giants: If history has taught us anything, it's that imperialism is great for business, far too many people have died in the name of religion, and Shockey is an injury waiting to happen. Oh sure, he's playing through the foot and hamstring injuries that ruined his preseason. But Shockey missed eight games in his first two seasons and I highly doubt he pitches a complete game this year. Trade his big name for bigger games. The kind of games you should get from Alge Crumpler, Daniel Graham, and Antonio Gates all season.

Actually the calls on Vick and Bulger make sense. We'll see about Griffin - all they are saying is that he is small, and we already knew that.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:56 am

Griffin is short, but he's 5' 7" - 200 lbs... That's not exactly a "small" guy... Watching him on the field, he doesn't look like a fragile back to me at all... In fact, I don't think I have seen him slow to get up yet... If anything, the guy is harder to get a clean hit on with his speed, elusiveness, shorter height, and low center of gravity (a la Barry Sanders: 5' 8" - 200 lbs.)... He's certainly better built than Warrick Dunn who's 5' 9" - 180 lbs...

Now, I do see a lot of the other guys on that list as injury risks, though:

Mike Vick will be an injury risk his entire career... Anytime you have a QB who gets out there with safeties and linebacks that's a risk...

Culpepper would probably also be a slight risk for the same reason Mike Vick is if the guy weren't as big or bigger than most of the linebackers he faces...

Bulger is a huge risk because his line sucks... A guy can only take so many hits...

For the same reason, I would add both MIA QB's and both SF QB's to the list of the soon to be injured (of course Rattay already is)...

I think most old as dirt RB's should be on the list: Faulk, Emmitt, S. Davis and George...

Chris Brown's running style scares me... He's everything Quentin Griffin is not... While Griffin is low to the ground and shifty, Brown runs around with a huge bullseye on his chest...

And I do have to agree that Shockey is an injury risk, as well... Why? Because the jackass is ALWAYS injured...

I also think this could be the year that Steve McNair starts to accumulate injuries that cause him to miss time... That guy is ALWAYS banged up... Up until now he's always played with 7-10 injuries at a time, but I think he's getting older, and those days might be coming to an end....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:46 pm

I really don't like Chris Brown's running style, either. He was injury prone in college and now he's injury prone in the NFL. He missed most of his rookie year because of injuries and I don't think we've seen the last of it.

Q-tip. I don't think he's going to get as hurt as people might think. He does weigh about 200 and his running style is elusive and predicates keeping his center of gravity low.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:52 pm

I hate this topic.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:52 pm

BALCOBOMBER wrote:I hate this topic.

Why?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:54 pm

Everyone in the NFL is at an injury risk. Don't believe me ask Mike Rosenthal.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:57 pm

KG did some very insiteful research this preseason on size of RB and injury history. I cant find the thread through search, but if anyone else can, it is truly interesting, and could definitely use a quick bump.

To summarize it - smaller RBs actually got injured LESS than bigger backs.

Im certainly not doing his research justice by that summary, so please - if anyone has the time, find it and bump it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

Why?

I own 5 of those guys!!!
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:03 pm

BALCOBOMBER wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Why?

I own 5 of those guys!!!

Same here, Culpepper, Bulger, Brown, Griffin and Jones.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:08 pm

I also disagree with Q-Tip. 5-7 200 pounds is pretty big. Bell won't be playing anytime soon.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk