Angels & Demons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Angels & Demons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Angels & Demons

Postby Flockers » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:44 pm

I just finished this book for my highschool english class. I really could not put the book down and read it in under three days. It's a great murder mystery that is basically the prelude to The DaVinci Code (Which I am reading now). It's the same main charater and everything.

Have any of you guys read this book? What did you think? Please post a good book that you have read lately and think we would enjoy.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:02 pm

The last book I had to read was Summer of '98 by Mike Lupica (the guy from Sports Reporters). I liked that book, and it's an easy read.
Last edited by kanezfan11 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Monty » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:59 pm

"Napoleon's Buttons" its about how chemistry affected history... I highly recommend it ;-D
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:23 pm

I swear I still haven't seen the movie, so I can't compare between them...but "Along Came a Spider" James Patterson is my favourite book of all time...I read it in about 4 hours straight :*)

Another recommendation of mine is the "Rogue Warrior" series by Richard Marcinko (forgive my spelling) There are currently three, and I read them all in three days, so amazing...about a Real Navy SEAL, from team six, who formed the team, and tells about their missions...actually, he's the Navy SEAL...long read, but I got so into it, I couldn't stop :-]
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Angels & Demons

Postby jumpman8828 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:32 pm

Flockers wrote:I just finished this book for my highschool english class. I really could not put the book down and read it in under three days. It's a great murder mystery that is basically the prelude to The DaVinci Code (Which I am reading now). It's the same main charater and everything.

Have any of you guys read this book? What did you think? Please post a good book that you have read lately and think we would enjoy.

Both of those books are insanely hard to put down, I absolutely loved them both. Recently for summer reading I read The Terminal Man (Michael Crichton is one of my favorite authors) and I thought it was great as well.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arlo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:16 am

Just read Kinsella's (the Shoeless Joe guy) The Miss Hobbema Pageant. Also an excellent quick read.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:04 am

It really pisses me off that I can't remember the name of the author or of the book, but I read this biography of a professional card counter and it was awesome. It made me want to gamble so bad, if I remember the name or the author I'll post it here.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Shvitz » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:11 am

I recommend James Ellory's American Tabloid.

A gritty hard boiler that manages to wrap up the mafia, Jimmy Hoffa, the Bay of Pigs, and the Kennedy assassination all in one very believable story. For reference, this is the author who wrote L.A. Confidential (a horrid movie but a good novel).

Quentin Tarantino should be envious that he can't make a movie as good as this book.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken
The Shvitz Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby CC » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:23 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:It really pisses me off that I can't remember the name of the author or of the book, but I read this biography of a professional card counter and it was awesome. It made me want to gamble so bad, if I remember the name or the author I'll post it here.

I got it, its called "Bringing Down the House" by Ben Mezrich.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:43 pm

Still Life With Woodpecker
Ender's Game
Catcher (of course)
Breakfast of Champions

These are a few of the books I've been reading lately. They're all very good.

PS: To anyone who's ever read Ender's Game. How much would you love to see Ender Wiggin coach an NFL team?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to General Talk