MUST READ BOOKS! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

MUST READ BOOKS!

Moderator: Football Moderators

MUST READ BOOKS!

Postby Flockers » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:35 pm

Amazon.com's description of the novel "Lovely Bones."

On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings.

That is another great book I have read, along with Angels & Demons and I just started reading The DaVinci Code.

What I'm asking you is to post a good book you have read and give a little description of the book, like what type of book it is and what it's about.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:43 pm

DaVinci code is AWESOME but one of my personal faves is Life After God by Douglas Copeland ...description to come I gotta run
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Re: MUST READ BOOKS!

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:11 am

Flockers wrote:Amazon.com's description of the novel "Lovely Bones."

On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings.

That is another great book I have read, along with Angels & Demons and I just started reading The DaVinci Code.

What I'm asking you is to post a good book you have read and give a little description of the book, like what type of book it is and what it's about.

Geez Flockers, we seem to be reading all the same books...I've recently read all three you've mentioned ;-D
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Shock Wave » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 am

I didnt care for The Davinci code, going into it I knew it was way overhyped and it seemed like Brown tried to pack the book with way too much action, I just thought the book was "soft" I guess. If you liked it thats cool but I mostly like the classics myself. The book Lovely Bones sounds interesting but again it seems like everyone is reading it and telling me how good it is, I dont know if i'll read it but maybe if the situation presents itself. As for the books I like I have recently read 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade, the story itself is literally not for the weak of stomach but I found that the book sent some strong messages, atleast to me it did, I guess a lot of people cant see past the gratuitous sex and violence and I had to take breaks from the book because it started getting to me and because the story is really monotonous but i'd say overall im glad I read it.
Shock Wave
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:48 am

'Unfit for Command' ;-D
'Stolen Valor' ;-D
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Arlo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:27 am

Two book threads at the same time? Quite the literary crowd. :-)

Ok, I'll throw one out. Early front-runner for best release of 2004 according to Arlo: Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Sort of a murder mystery as told by an autistic child. Well, sort of...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fntsyrookie » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:51 am

Arlo wrote:Two book threads at the same time? Quite the literary crowd. :-)

Ok, I'll throw one out. Early front-runner for best release of 2004 according to Arlo: Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Sort of a murder mystery as told by an autistic child. Well, sort of...

It's not about GP takin' a leak outside on the lawn at night is it? :-b
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:02 am

fntsyrookie wrote:

LOL

I already posted in the other thread, so I won't repost it, but I also recently read Durango Street, which some of you might have read dating back to your late elementary school years to early high school...Amazing book ;-D

Can't remember who wrote it, and it's only like 300 pages, so it's not a huge read :-/
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:06 am

I read that, I didn't have high expectations when I started, but I found the story really interesting and I think it probably painted a fairly accurate picture of how an autistic child thinks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:04 pm

fntsyrookie wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. :-b
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk