MUST READ BOOKS! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

MUST READ BOOKS!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Osk » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:58 pm

the DaVinci codes is actually laying on my bed right now, waiting to be read.. i read the first 3 chapters and so far so good..

i'm not much of a reading-fan, but I just wanted to throw that out
Osk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:40 pm

well i have read too many good books I cant evenr emmeber them all but here is a big MUST NOT READ. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It starts kind of cool with a futuristic setting where humans are mass produced and everyone is happy. After those first 100 pages, the crap fest goes on and on.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:57 pm

I didn't think Brave New World was that bad when we had to read it for school, way better than Cue for Treason and crap like that.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:21 pm

Another good book is Until They Bring the Streetcars Back.

Here's the description of the book.

Book Description
Until They Bring The Streetcars Back serves up a nostalgic journey through the streets of post-war 1949 Saint Paul, those wistful days of ten-cent sodas, big band music, and burning leaves. Stanley West weaves rollicking humor, riveting suspense and a bittersweet love story into the fabric of those optimistic times.

A harmless prank, a chance conversation and Cal Gant (in the friendly neighborhoods of his idyllic life) stumbles onto the naked face of cruelty, incest and murder. When he attempts to rescue a strange and haunting girl from the slaughterhouse her life has become, he finds himself in a heart-stopping struggle with her ruthless father, leading Cal to the brink of self-doubt, terror and death itself. Can he find within himself the backbone to stand against the horror, the daring to concoct some scheme to set Gretchen free? Until They Bring The Streetcars Back is the gripping story of what Cal does.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Tiki » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:33 pm

Flockers wrote:Another good book is Until They Bring the Streetcars Back.

Here's the description of the book.

Book Description
Until They Bring The Streetcars Back serves up a nostalgic journey through the streets of post-war 1949 Saint Paul, those wistful days of ten-cent sodas, big band music, and burning leaves. Stanley West weaves rollicking humor, riveting suspense and a bittersweet love story into the fabric of those optimistic times.

A harmless prank, a chance conversation and Cal Gant (in the friendly neighborhoods of his idyllic life) stumbles onto the naked face of cruelty, incest and murder. When he attempts to rescue a strange and haunting girl from the slaughterhouse her life has become, he finds himself in a heart-stopping struggle with her ruthless father, leading Cal to the brink of self-doubt, terror and death itself. Can he find within himself the backbone to stand against the horror, the daring to concoct some scheme to set Gretchen free? Until They Bring The Streetcars Back is the gripping story of what Cal does.
That book was good, I read ti last year for school. He made a second book around, don't remember what it is called did you read that one flock?
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:34 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I didn't think Brave New World was that bad when we had to read it for school, way better than Cue for Treason and crap like that.
I think the worst school book I have read is The old man and the sea. God that book was broing!!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:07 pm

Tiki wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I didn't think Brave New World was that bad when we had to read it for school, way better than Cue for Treason and crap like that.
I think the worst school book I have read is The old man and the sea. God that book was broing!!

Isn't it chock full o' juxtaposition between the old man and Jesus? We don't have to read it but thats what my English teacher said in Gr. 10.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:11 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Tiki wrote:

Isn't it chock full o' juxtaposition between the old man and Jesus? We don't have to read it but thats what my English teacher said in Gr. 10.
Yes yes it is.....Not a good read catholic or not.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Tiki wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Tiki wrote:

Yes yes it is.....Not a good read catholic or not.

Oh god yes...endless examples of Christian symbolism and all sorts of crap in that baby...I hated that.

One of the best books I've ever read was A Tale of Two Cities...I seriously hated it through like the first 200 pages, but after that all the confusing crap came together and I absolutely loved it...it's very tough to read and I wouldn't suggest doing so without a good English teacher.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:14 pm

portisfan24 wrote:well i have read too many good books I cant evenr emmeber them all but here is a big MUST NOT READ. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It starts kind of cool with a futuristic setting where humans are mass produced and everyone is happy. After those first 100 pages, the crap fest goes on and on.

LOL this is my teacher's favourite book :-D

I'm gonna make fun of him come monday ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk