MUST READ BOOKS! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

MUST READ BOOKS!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flockers » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:54 am

Another good book that I am reading for my Lit. class is Fallen Angels. So far, it's about a guy fighting in the Vietnam War. It seems pretty good, if you don't mind serious cursing and racial slurs.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:04 pm

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.....

Stephen King Dark Tower Series=best book series ever.

Includes most of my personal favs in book reading: time travel, alternate realities, magic vs machines, incredible heroes and action. Basically it's a fight between good and evil to save the universe type story. Set in the real world, slightly "off" real world's where fairy tales are real, and alternate worlds where the apocalypse destroyed modern civilization long ago. It's the story of the evolution of a group of heroes and their quest to right the wrongs of the world and to save it from evil.

My uncle introduced me to the first book in this series about 10 years ago, thankfully I didn't start reading when the first book came out (early 70s? I wasn't even born yet). The final book was just published a couple days ago. Stephen King worked on this series for the past 30 something years? truly epic story.

If you've read any Stephen King novels at all, you can't not read these books.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby tman570 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:31 am

Tiki wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I didn't think Brave New World was that bad when we had to read it for school, way better than Cue for Treason and crap like that.
I think the worst school book I have read is The old man and the sea. God that book was broing!!

Geeez I remember that was a great book (old man and the sea) but Ive been a fisherman since I was a kid. I am going to have to reread that one.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flockers » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:35 pm

bring
up
my
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:50 pm

Flockers wrote:bring
up
my

OK, I'll bite...

I read DaVinci Code, but I liked Angels & Demons more... awesome book. The other 2 Brown books are good too, but not as good as A&D.

I'm incredibly cool... so of course I've read all the "Harry Potters"... I know you all have too, but its time somebody brought it up.

Currently, I'm reading Bourne Identity (haven't seen movie yet... or sequel).

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flockers » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:23 pm

Path of the Assassin. Awesome book. Path of the Assassin is the sequel to "Lions of Lucerne." Make sure to read that one first so you know what is going on.

Amazon.com wrote:If Thor's second international thriller had any more testosterone, it would grow hair. This follow-up to The Lions of Lucerne is loaded with explosions, gunfights, car chases and hairbreadth escapes as Secret Service agent Scot Harvath battles religious extremists and incompetent CIA spooks to save the world from WWIII. The Hand of God, an apparent Israeli terrorist group, is blowing up mosques in Saudi Arabia, assassinating Arab leaders and hijacking airplanes, all in an effort to provoke the Arab world into war with Israel. Harvath tries to derail the terrorist plot and avenge the deaths of buddies killed in the first book. Aided by Meg Cassidy, a beautiful Chicago public relations expert, Harvath chases the terrorist leader and a silver-eyed assassin from Hong Kong through Europe to North Africa. However, since Cassidy is the only one alive who has seen the face of the terrorist leader, the assassin chases them, too, trying to kill Cassidy before she can point him out. The story is one bloody episode after another, with a touch of romance and colorful turf battles between the CIA, FBI, Delta Force and Harvath himself. Thor stacks the deck in favor of his hero-Harvath never makes a mistake, and his view of how counterterrorism operations should be conducted is invariably proven correct. To top it off, he boasts about his remarkable talents. With its infallible hero, fetching sidekick and wicked bad guys, this international shoot 'em up sticks close to formula, but the well-choreographed action and thrills will keep readers engrossed.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby CC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:32 pm

I'm going to read and write a paper on "The Screwtape Letters" by CS Lewis for my philosophy class, anyone read it? What'd you think of it?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:36 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I'm going to read and write a paper on "The Screwtape Letters" by CS Lewis for my philosophy class, anyone read it? What'd you think of it?

Amazon.com
Who among us has never wondered if there might not really be a tempter sitting on our shoulders or dogging our steps? C.S. Lewis dispels all doubts. In The Screwtape Letters, one of his bestselling works, we are made privy to the instructional correspondence between a senior demon, Screwtape, and his wannabe diabolical nephew Wormwood. As mentor, Screwtape coaches Wormwood in the finer points, tempting his "patient" away from God.
Each letter is a masterpiece of reverse theology, giving the reader an inside look at the thinking and means of temptation. Tempters, according to Lewis, have two motives: the first is fear of punishment, the second a hunger to consume or dominate other beings. On the other hand, the goal of the Creator is to woo us unto himself or to transform us through his love from "tools into servants and servants into sons." It is the dichotomy between being consumed and subsumed completely into another's identity or being liberated to be utterly ourselves that Lewis explores with his razor-sharp insight and wit.

The most brilliant feature of The Screwtape Letters may be likening hell to a bureaucracy in which "everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment." We all understand bureaucracies, be it the Department of Motor Vehicles, the IRS, or one of our own making. So we each understand the temptations that slowly lure us into hell. If you've never read Lewis, The Screwtape Letters is a great place to start. And if you know Lewis, but haven't read this, you've missed one of his core writings.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Slingblade » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:27 am

R.A. Salvatore books are awesome...fantasy genre...best of them are the series about the dark elf drizzt do'urden....must read novels...one of his best...Icewind Dale Trilogy...was made into an RPG game for the PC off of the baldurs gate engine.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:49 am

Kensat30 wrote:The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.....

Stephen King Dark Tower Series=best book series ever.

Obviously, I agree. ;-D

What kills me is that I haven't been able to find time to read the latest installments after screaming for so many years.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk