Return to Football Talk

Marcel Shipp or Emmitt?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marcel Shipp or Emmitt?

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:52 pm

I just read this assessment of Shipp.
Does this sound right?
With Emmitt there?

Marcel Shipp - RB, Arizona Cardinals June 9, 7:02 p.m.
Shipp, a former undrafted free agent, has been a pleasant surprise for the Cardinals, who were glad to hand him the starting job when Thomas Jones flopped yet again. Shipp isn’t a spectacular athlete, but he is a hard runner and a productive receiver. The Cardinals’ passing offense went from bad to worse in the offseason, but the team’s rock-solid offensive line should help see Shipp to a 1,200-yard season.
Fantasy Spin: Shipp should be a good No. 2 fantasy starter. (Jason Langendorf/TSN)
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:54 am

Strange since most are predicting a 800 yd+ season for Emmitt. I liked the look of Shipp at the end of last year, im sure he will be the main guy at some point very soon. Perhaps Emmitt was signed to put butts on seats.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Poobah » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:55 am

I gotta think Emmitt starts the season. They might both see action for the first half of the season, put butts in the seat, but Emmitt gets the majority of the carries (15 per game as opposed to 8-10 for Shipp). Then, by late October we see Arizona out of the playoff race (for those of us who say they are not out already), and Shipp increases his carries. Maybe?

%-6
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby DUKE » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:24 am

Shipp looked a bit enticing for this year until Emmitt signed. They will both get their share of carries, but they drop each other's value significantly. I see a situation similar to what Poobah describes.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby StickaforkinRogers » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:02 am

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere one of Arizona's coaches or GMs saying Emmitt isn't coming in to sit on the bench. They said he would start. Obviously we're still a ways away from the start of the season and we don't know what will happen during the season. If I were to draft I would take Emmitt first. I wouldn't want either one of them that badly though. A lot of the mocks I've seen don't even have Shipp being drafted but I guess I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the last few rounds as my 5th or 6th back.
StickaforkinRogers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Sandwich » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:36 am

Emmitt will start the season as the feature, but Shipp is a nice sleeper back. He will increase his carries and catches out of the backfield as the season goes on. Cardinals will suck this year and my guess is have the first pick in the draft next year. With the first pick I would guess they will go with a top RB. That would be my guess. I guess.
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:34 am

The "Emmitt Factor" was a slap in Marcel Shipp's face.
He earned the starting job and did a remarkable job
considering the team he is on.

I hope they use Emmitt to 'fill seats' and teach Shipp.
Shame he goes out as a Cardinal.....
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk