E=MC....uh...FF?? Who are the fantasy brainiacs here? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

E=MC....uh...FF?? Who are the fantasy brainiacs here?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Diablo13 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:35 pm

EaglesInJAX05 wrote:BS in Chem E, in three years made 3 superbowls, winning 1. 2-0 this year. However,posting in this forum won't give you a statistically valid result. You will be sampling people who care about ff, regardless of education level. They will all do well becasue the follow the game and look for the most up to date info (as evidenced by posting on this site). Just my thoughts.

Appreciate the comment...

I am looking to draw a correlation (or disprove the corrleation) of FF success and education levels. I guess in a way I have become the Devil's Advocate (no pun on my handle). Because I feel the same way most people do in this forum...Education is not a way to measure a successful FF coach. I am hoping that what I can figure from this, I will be able to show as clear evidence that what most everybody believes is true....very little correlation between the two. I thought that I must be doing this because I have no life to speak of, but in another post I saw a guy who posted over 1100 times in a month. So that gives me a little solace!..lol

That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it!...lol
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby prose749 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:50 pm

I have 1yr of college 3.5 GPA

Have graduated from 2 alcohol classes and blew a .193 and .24 which was tops in my class. LOL!!!

1st yr playing fantasy football.
prose749 Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:13 am

shpuck wrote:BS in Chemistry 2000 from Fresno State (minor in Physics and music)

4 years of graduate school in Physical Chemistry complete. 1.5 years remaining.

Dude, I respect the knowledge power you must have to actually understand P-Chem enough to take 6.5 years (assume you had a year in undergrad) worth of it... :-S

I don't know how many people understand how hard putting Chemistry and Physics together at one time can be. :-t
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:27 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know how many people understand how hard putting Chemistry and Physics together at one time can be. :-t

Hell, Chemistry and Physics alone is too much for The 'Cuna - I can't imagine combining the two! :-o

Anyway, The 'Cuna is a freshman at Eastern Washington University. As for The 'Cuna's previous fantasy football successes, here's a rundown...

Year One: One league, one championship.
Year Two: Two leagues, one championship.
Year Three: Four leagues, one championship.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby aussieboy » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:41 am

In 4th year of Medical School in Australia.

In Australia we don't have to do a Premed course initially to study Medicine. We apply for Med School straight out of highschool. Acceptance is based on a Tertiary Entrance Rank (equivalent to your GPA), an aptitude test and an interview.

I haven't had much experience in fantasy football, due to the lack of exposure the NFL gets over here. Over the last year or so, ive been addicted to fantasy football. The Cafe has tought me a hell of a lot. Through research, cafe and talking to other enthusiasts ive come to a level of knowledge that is able to compete with those who have been involved in FF a lot longer than me.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:06 am

all_or_nothing wrote:Well i don't have much money to put towards college, so unless i can get a good portion of my college paid of (i.e. scholarship) i will probably go to a small profile school such as Cal State Fulerton (even better cause i play baseball). I take my SAT's in May, but they changed them by adding an essay so it is out of 2400 instead of 1600. On my PSAT last year on the 1600 scale i scored a 1450.

If you have a 4.4 and can get a similar percentage on the actual SATs I don't believe money will be an issue. I see a full scholarship in your future.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:36 am

Wow, this things is still going strong.

Anyways figured id come back after thinking about it for a while. This really isn't going to allow you to prove or disprove anything. The concpt is a good one, but the fact is that too many factors come into play.

The biggest of these factors being our individual FF knowledge. If you could manage to get enough people with a statistically even FF knowledge, then this could be done. But as of now you will find many cases of someone with little FF knowledge but a great education getting destroyed by someone with little education and a wealth of FF knowledge.

But I would easily be willing to argue that a more intelligent person with the same FF knowledge of a less intelligent person, would win more often than not.

Finally though, and this is a whole other argument, but intelligence sadly enough is no a direct corallary to education level.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:31 am

smackthefirst wrote:But I would easily be willing to argue that a more intelligent person with the same FF knowledge of a less intelligent person, would win more often than not.

Finally though, and this is a whole other argument, but intelligence sadly enough is no a direct corallary to education level.

The most important things that can be taken from this topic was summarized in these two statements by smackthefirst.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:06 am

Wesley Walker wrote:I've got 7+ years of college under my belt, and no degree. Now I'm a bicycle mechanic.

It's been my experience that a sharp mind is a real assett in fantasy football, from the draft to the waiver wire to, of course, organizing one's roster and plugging in the best possible starting lineup each week. But no, it doesn't take a brainiac.

And back to that original post for a minute: Does anyone really believe business majors are brainiacs?

I feel I must comment on this :-b

I always find that the majority of people look down on business majors. That is in a way pretty surprising to me. 1st of all, no matter what your degree is in, what your background is in, or where you work, your boss is a 'business person.' Businesses run this country and write your paycheck. These people arent stupid.

Yes I realize that there are some places where getting a degree in business is a joke, but I have found that people really have no idea that being a business major has come a LONG way from where it use to be. I graduated from The Ohio State University (yes its a rule that you have to put 'The' in front of it) in business, and our undergraduate program is ranked 13th in the country. Sure there were some people taking business classes who werent the sharpest tools in the shed but these people never were actually accepted into the program, they were just taking the classes in hopes of being admitted later. At OSU, people think pretty highly of business majors as its one of the hardest programs to get accepted to.

If I tell people from other colleges or outside of Columbus, or just whoever that Im a business major from OSU, they act as if I took slacker classes or Im just not that smart.

I dont mean to brag or attack anyone, but Ive just been completely frustrated as of late at peoples lack of knowledge on what business majors really are. Not all business colleges are for slackers and not all business majors are stupid! (end of rant)

oh yeah on to the topic - I also agree w/ smack
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Monty » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:20 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Monty wrote:Im in 11th Grade, and i consider myself reasonably smart (88% average last year)

High School is a poor measure of intelligence.

Not in Canada
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk