Lelie's Growth Spurt.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lelie's Growth Spurt.

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:56 pm

From Rookie to Mentor: Lelie's One-Year Growth Spurt

June 9, 2003
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

Typically, it's rookies and other newcomers who draw the most notice from observers at offseason camps. Since focus naturally turns to what has changed from the past, the eyes of most have been on free-agent pickups like Jake Plummer, Daryl Gardener and Lee Flowers, and rookies such as George Foster and head-turning wideout Adrian Madise.

That hasn't hurt Ashley Lelie. Just because he's no longer the new kid in town doesn't mean he hasn't spawned oohs and aahs from observers at practice as he's repeatedly made one solid catch after another. With the opportunity to line up alongside Rod Smith on the first team due to Ed McCaffrey's recovery from groin surgery, Lelie has only enhanced his growing stature in the Broncos' passing game.

His comfort level in the Broncos' system is evident. Gone are the occasional bouts of tentativeness that tend to plague any rookie; in their place are smooth, almost effortless routes and unspoken, but evident confidence.

"Anytime a wide receiver or running back's in the system going into the second year, it's always a big plus," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's a lot more comfortable with the offensive system, he's a lot more comfortable with defenses, and he can kind of get an idea of how physical the NFL is in comparison with college."

With the playbook absorbed, and a full offseason of strength and conditioning workouts on his docket, Lelie has the knowledge and strength of a seasoned veteran.

"I only have to learn the little things now, and I can go on to the next level," he said.

But as well as he's done when the football is in play, during the offseason to date, he's already moved onto the next level when he steps away from the action, turning into a mentor. Along with veteran Rod Smith, he has spent the past three camps focused on three primary goals -- gaining timing with Plummer, refining his routes and providing counsel to the newest receivers.

Chief among those in whom Lelie has taken an interest is Madise, the fifth-round selection who began drawing raves from observers within a half-hour of taking the field for the Broncos' first mini-camp. Lelie gave Madise the same advice that the Hawaii product has heard before -- imploring him to be persistent, and to remember on a bad day that better ones will come -- ones such as the type Lelie currently enjoys.

"Just to stick through it, because there's going to be ups and downs," Lelie said. "Some days he'll come out and have a great practice, others he might come out and make a lot of mistakes. Mentally, he has to stick with it."

Yet Lelie doesn't feel threatened by Madise, or anyone else among the receivers. Truth be told, it's his goal for the group to be comprised of equally excellent talents.

"We have a great group of receivers," he said. "Hopefully we all step up like that during the season, and make the same plays and we'll all be interchangeable."

Interchangeable in result, perhaps. But there's still no mistaking Lelie for anyone else, with his smooth, precise routes, angular frame, pinpoint body control and rapid mental growth -- attributes which should serve him well as the season approaches.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:56 am

Not this year but next for Lelie, least thats what I think.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Poobah » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:51 am

Someone's got to step up with Easy Ed McCaffrey on the definite downside of his career. New QB, so favorites are gone. I can't see Rod Smith giving up the #1 spot yet, but I can see Lelie and Sharpe splitting 110-120 catches or so between them...
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:19 am

Denver still needs a QB.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:24 pm

awwchrist wrote:Denver still needs a QB.

PLUMMER ;-D
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nero » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 pm

he'll start busting out midseason is my guess

let someone else draft him as a "sleeper" by week 6 he'll be fed up and either throw him into a deal or drop him
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nati2709 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:49 pm

yeah it just sucks to see good old ED on his way down. That guy is a prototype of how you want everybody to play the game.
nati2709
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:14 am

With Eddie Mac and Rod being fan favorites and possibly still having a few productive seasons left, it will be hard for Lelie to make a fantasy impact this year even though the talent level is there. BUT, keep an eye on the preseason to see what kind of chemistry develops between Plummer and his "new" wide receivers. Lelie has already logged in quite a few reps with Jake due to Eddie's hernia surgery so that's a good headstart. Right now, I see Ashley and Eddie neck and neck in both on field competition and fantasy value.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk